How do I set this wet/dry filter up?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by radgto, Jan 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. radgto

radgto Astrea Snail

Hi there.

This is my first post here as I've been out of the hobby for the past 10 years and prior to this have never had a wet/dry filter.

I recently acquired through a trade on Craigslist a brand new custom tank setup that came with a wet dry sump and hardware... I'm not sure of the brand or volume or the proper way to set it up. I understand that the water will enter from the overflows via the two bulkhead fittings on the right side of the sump, then trickle down through the tiny holes to the bio balls, then to the open chamber under the eggcrate, under the opening, through the narrow piece of eggcrate, over the wall to the large opening where the pump sits.

Here's my questions...
    1, in what compartment would I use a skimmer?

2, does the return pump just sit in the bottom chamber on the left or is it supposed to sit on the narrow eggcrate in the middle?

3, if I wanted a refugium (which I do) I would have to use the area on the far left but then where does a skimmer go?

4, what do I do with that empty area under the bio balls?

5, does anyone know the brand of wet dry this is??? it's 30x18x10"

I've read countless threads here on the wet/dry - refugium topics but none of them seem to address the type of set up my sump is clearly.

I just want to start this tank out the right way from the beginning and have about another month before I'll have lighting, heater, skimmer so I'm trying to plan now.

How should this be set up properly??? This will be set up as a fish and liverock only tank for the first year or so then slowly converted into a reef.

Thanks and glad to be part of the community here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

well its not really a wet/dry setup you actually have a great tank/sump setup there the 2 gray pvc on top of the sump are the intake that will bring water from the tank overflow down to the top of the sump the 2 gray rippled tubing will be what is used to bring the water from the overflow to the sump connected to the gray pvc at the top from there the water will go through the top part where if you wanted (which i would) add your carbon and phosphate filters from there you have another chamber to add bio balls (i wouldnt do that though) instead i would add live rock as another filter then it will flow down to the bottom chamber which could house your live sand or maybe more LR next the large chamber you can put you return pump thermometer and in sump protein skimmer. the clear tubing will lead from the return pump back to the tank to put the water back in with the connections that go at the top. Hope this helps any more questions feel free to ask i will try to help if i cant i am sure someone on here will be able.

4. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

1, in what compartment would I use a skimmer?

The only place it would fit is the left compartment it appears.

2, does the return pump just sit in the bottom chamber on the left or is it supposed to sit on the narrow eggcrate in the middle?

It sits on the left. The egg crate is usually where you would put a sponge or some type of baffle to stop bubbles or waste from getting to your return pump. But if you're going to turn it into a reef then I wouldn't put anything in there. Maybe a heater if it will fit.

3, if I wanted a refugium (which I do) I would have to use the area on the far left but then where does a skimmer go?
    If you have an in sump skimmer there is no where else to put it in that sump.

4, what do I do with that empty area under the bio balls?

Nothing and once again if you're going to turn this tank into a reef then I wouldn't put the bio-balls in the sump. Bio-balls build up nitrates which are fine in a fish only but not so good in a reef so if I were you I would fill the sump with some live rock and some base rock.

5, does anyone know the brand of wet dry this is??? it's 30x18x10"

No idea but it looks like a decent filter.

I just want to start this tank out the right way from the beginning and have about another month before I'll have lighting, heater, skimmer so I'm trying to plan now.

How should this be set up properly???

It's really pretty simple. Fill the area under the drip plate with base and live rock. The area under that you can put a heater in or a small pump for a uv or something maybe. Then put your return pump and skimmer in the open end of the sump. I'm not sure you'll have the room to make that a fuge to be honest. Well good luck.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Putting live rock or rubble accomplishes the same thing bio balls does.... provide an oxygen rich area for bacteria to break down ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. It is a detritus trap and has the same draw backs.

Wet and drys will get you going. If you don't have much live rock then you can still get your tank up and running. Over time take out the media as you get more rock in the tank. Just change out your floss and rinse off the balls when you do water changes.

Read my article in my sig on filters and sumps to better understand what we are talking about and the precautions needed.

6. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

Well see there is a debate on bio-balls and LR. In the end you have to really find what works for you everyone has their own methods that work for them so everyone will have a different opinion on that topic of bio-balls and LR.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i would not put bio-balls on top of the eg-crate in the first section, this will encourage nitrates. if you already have the bio-balls, i would put them below the water line below the egg crate. if you don't already have the bio-balls, i would fill that section with rock. the skimmer will go in the left section. imo you don't have space in this sump for a fuge. i would set up a separate aquarium for a fuge if you have room.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There isn't really a debate between live rock and bio balls. Live rock in a reef in a tank is a far superior filter over a wet/dry. Placing live rock rubble in a wet/dry filter as a substitute for bio balls is no different than putting in bio balls. It's a oxygen rich environment that will not foster anerobic bacteria in the rock and it collects waste.

10. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

+1 I agree 100%. Bio-balls are for fish only, They advantages to live rock are far superior in a reef tank.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Glad I cleared that up, we were just saying the same thing.

So OP, what are your goals for the tank. What do you want to house? Yes you got a good deal and a nice looking tank. the filter will still work and you are much better off than using a hang on back skimmer.

12. radgto

radgto Astrea Snail

Thank you for all the replies so far...

Here is my plan for now... The tank already has about 1.5 inches of crushed coral as substrate (should I replace this with dry bagged sand?) and I have about 75lbs of lace rock to use as a base to start off and then fill it with water. A few days later I plan to buy 50lbs of live rock from ebay
    50 pounds of Premium Deco Gulf Live Rock coral fishtank - eBay (item 130471145986 end time Jan-12-11 16:39:06 PST)
    or
    50 lbs aquarium live rock free shipping coral included - eBay (item 150538821139 end time Jan-23-11 15:21:20 PST)

and just let it cure in the display tank until it's cycled (I'm hoping for 30 days)
    then add a cleaner crew and 4-5 damsels.
    After about another month I'd like to start adding something like angel, tangs or another pretty easy fish to keep until I learn more and make sure the tank is working well.
    I plan on adding a lot more lace or base rock off ebay during this year until it's full (I figure about 250-300lbs) the tank is 5'L x 22"d x 18"w

Then after a year or so get rid of any non reef safe fish I have in there and start adding coral until it's full.

I would really like a refugium so I can grow pods and have the extra filtration so if there's no way to keep it in the sump I have I guess I'd have to plum through the wall behind the DT and keep it in my wife's workout room

I didn't pay for any of this so far because I got it in a trade so I have no dilemma with tossing out the bio balls because I'd rather have rock anyway.

If I took out the large eggcrateand drip tray on the right side, could I put the skimmer in there with liverock. sit the pump in the middle section and put sand in the left section with macro algae to grow pods or is the overflow wall too short? I'd really like to set this thing up as a refugium if I possibly can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]