How do I seed dry rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by gabbyr189, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I am planning an upgrade from my 40g to a 75g. I currently have approximately 50 lbs of LR in my current tank. I am planning on buying some dry rock from BRS. I would like to seed this rock in a plastic tub so it is ready for my new tank. I am graduating college in May, and must move out of my apartment for grad school. I figured that it would be easiest to change over to the new tank the same day that I am moving the tank. I have a good 8 months on my hands. I haven't dealt with dry rock before. Can someone give me a step by step including common mistakes people make? I would also like to try to get a better copepod population growing. I want to have a nice home waiting at my new apartment the fish and coral to come home to. I can use ALL the advice I can get.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you are using the old rock just mix the rock together in the new tank. You should have little to no cycle if you don't add any new fish right away.

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

+1 to the above, just go slow with new additions and let the beneficial bacteria build as needed and you'll be fine.

5. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

if you want to seed rock from my understanding you just need any container with water flow, LR, dry rock and just give it some time...life will hop over to the dry rock eventually but like 2 in 10 said just moving everything into the new tank and mixing the dry and LR should be good enough, the other rock should come to life after a while of being with the LR

6. chuck78

chuck78 Astrea Snail

Mix the dry rock with the live rock that is in your current tank, give it about a month & half to be colonized. If you want to cut that waiting time down to 1 week...just add "Bio-Spira" to the display tank. Just make sure that you have PLENTY of "Clean Up Crew" in the tank to keep potential green algae from settling on the dry rock. Green algae will impede purple coralline from forming on your newly converted dry rock. You'll be stuck with purple rock & some green rock. IMO, that's not a good look. Hope this info helps. Good Luck!!

7. cain

cain Astrea Snail

mix dry rock and live rock to seed your dry rock.

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Get a sump with a refugium to grow out more pods