How Do I Remove Wretched Shrimps From My Tank?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by justonwo, Aug 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Here is the acan a couple of days before I put the new shrimp in the tank. Look at the polyp in the lower left corner of the photo. Then look at the same polyp the day after they were put in the tank. I'll admit that I'm a complete newbie, but that seems more like damage from a critter than water quality?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

it looks like something is eating on it to me as well.

4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

It hasn't really gotten any worse since Tuesday, so maybe I'll just sit tight for a little while and see how things stabilize. There are definitely some aiptasia in there for the taking.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

So far, so good. I haven't seen any additional damage to the acans. Any ideas out there how long it will take them to recover from this little nibbling? Are we talking weeks or months?

7. GarrettRiing

GarrettRiing Plankton

It's true, peppermint shrimp are creeps, I got 2 hammer colonies and watched them eat the head right off of one. So I wouldn't doubt at all that that is the problem, if you can, grow what you can on the substrate until they are bigger than the shrimp and then place it on the live rock, they won't eat what is bigger than them. At least that's what I have found in my case! Those things are pricks but I hope it all works out for you! Good luck!

Edit: Family friendly please. Thanks. Cheryl

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Garrett, I like the words you used to describe the peppermints. Ha ha. That pretty much sums it up. What is the benefit of putting them on the substrate? Shrimp are less likely to wander out onto the sand?

10. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Ok, I just saw my sailfin tang swoop in and peck the edge right off one of my acan polyps. I wouldn't have believed it but there it was. The acan retracted for 10 minutes and then when it expanded again, part of the polyp was missing!

Maybe the sailfin has been the culprit all along? But I know before I got the tank that the sailfin lived peacefully with the acans for a very long time. What a puzzle. But he attacked the edge of that acan as clear as day.

11. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have 3 peppermint shrimp. The only time I have seen them actually pick at a coral was one that wasn't doing well to begin with, maybe I lucked out.

Are you sure they are peppermints, camel shrimps look very similar and they can be an issue.