how do i lower the nitrate levels in my tank?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Guest, Jan 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I have to say you have some balls John. What is your guidance on denitafication for a freshwater tank?

I don't buy the no water changes theory ::), even though it works for you.

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Freashwater is cheap use it!

4. somethingfishy

More water, less chemestry. JMHO

5. somethingfishy

Man I've made like over 10 posts today.

I think I'm going POSTAL [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif]

I apologize for my poor sense of humor

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Covey link=board=Freshwater;num=1074885859;start=0#9 date=08/09/04 at 19:10:56]Somehow a mad scientist battling a fish with a pistol works ;D[/quote]

Me too ;-)

John

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Freshwater;num=1074885859;start=0#10 date=08/09/04 at 19:12:28]I have to say you have some balls John.  What is your guidance on denitafication for a freshwater tank?

I don't buy the no water changes theory ::), even though it works for you.[/quote]

Yes I do have balls, thank you for noticing.  I also have opinions that are guided by experience.  I also don't just DO things because others say it is neccessary.  I also, like you, ask a lot of questions.

You can change water as often is you want to, that is your decision and always will be, but what are you changing?  Can't you see that there is no 'solution' in water changes?  You aren't solving ANYTHING, just adding yet another wrinkle, another silly layer into what is a simple process.

Having written all that, I now feel better :) :)

Congratulations on being Postal LOL

John

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Here the deal saltwater you have to use RO water mix salt. Are you going to mess up the salinity and kill your livestock yada yada... Freshwater dechorinate, siphon, fill your done. 50ppm nitrate 50% water change, tada 25ppm. Cheaper than a denifrication coil and sump or nitrate resins, etc... The fish we keep don't live in puddles in nature fresh or salt(expect the killies onwers) they are OPEN systems the only way to do that is water changes

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Ok, Let's just clarify a few things :)

1. I do no use RO/DI water, just water straight from the tap.

2. The water I do put into my system is to top off evaporation, I never replace water, never have, never will, unless there is an urgent need due to poisoning etc.

3. 50ppm - 25ppm after change, ta da, soon after back up to 50 ppm, whats the point, why aren't you looking to find the equilibrium you need so that you don't produce that level of Nitrates in the first place.

Mother Nature is a wonderful thing and regardless of whether it is an open system or not, the system itself will find a balance. The trick to getting that balance is to stop mucking around with the levels and allowing it to happen.

There is virtually no difference in the science involved in fresh and saltwater aquariums, the cycles are the same and the problems are the same they just manifest themselves differently.

Just so you know, I have a freshwater tank, and I have never changed the water in that and it is 2 years old.

John

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I do water changes because I want to keep more than six inches of fish in a 75 gallon tank. No matter how lightly you stock your tank it would still be at a wholly unnatural level compared to nature. I don't know why we are debating this this debate is over 50 years old now. So I don't think we will see eye to eye. What we create in the little puddles in our living rooms will never be natural no matter how hard we try.

12. somethingfishy

Covey, Just a little backround on JohnO. He has sucsessfully kept aquariums like this for years, I do disagree with his opinion though. I just don't want you to bit off more than you can chew, he is a very knowelagable.

On a side note the aquarium hobby is ever evolving and just because something was right yesterday dosn't make it right today.

John keep up with your experementation and maybe one day I will stop changing my water too. I will stop picking on you for now.