How do I know if my live rock isn't dead

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Tommyc_88, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tommyc_88

Tommyc_88 Plankton

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this hobby. I've been setting up the saltwater aquarium slowly as the fella from the shop suggested. But I don know if what my live rock looks like is normal, if I pull the live rock out of the tank it still smells like the ocean. All my levels are normal the ammonia levels did go up 2 days ago but it has come down now. I've been putting 1 1/2 teaspoons of lysofuss daily for the past 4 days.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

If the rock has been continuously submerged in water with approximately an SG of around 1.021-1.025 for a least a couple weeks then there is most likely some beneficial bacteria present.

You can challenge your tank by ghost feeding it some fish food and then test for ammonia for the next 3-4 days if you do not see a spike you may have enough beneficial bacteria to adequately complete the nitrogen cycle.

Nice to hear that you're local fish store actually advised to take your time, that is rare.

4. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I'm amazed at how bad things in the saltwater hobby smell. Everything. I think the "ocean" smell on your exposed rock may be normal.

5. TWOLITREmedia

TWOLITREmedia Flamingo Tongue

^ I personally love the smell as I lived in Long Island New York, and am now in Ontario Canada. No salt water for me until vacation time now :-(....and when I smell my tank!

6. ledaqualights

ledaqualights 3reef Sponsor

Hah, yeah it is horrible. Even worse on waterchange day

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

IMHO/IME, healthy tank does NOT smell bad...as mentioned, it's a nice ocean smell. Stagnant water or rotting organic material (uncured LR, for instance) DOES smell bad, as does the hydrogen sulfide found in the anoxic layers of the substrate.

IME, if something smells bad, there's likely a problem or the tank isn't cycled.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My system don't stink!! It's in my family room!!

;-)

1 person likes this.
  10. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

My 30G is in my very small bedroom and when I am cleaning everything and doing water changes sometimes I just fold up my tank towel and set it on top of my 5g bucket. My mom walks in my room and is OMG it stinks in here!
    Smells like what ma? The ocean. Same smell as when I leave my beach towels in the trunk of my car all afternoon. Loves it.
    But, if the smell is sour some thing's not right. Musty is good!