how do i know a montipora is happy???

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by wfb2270, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i got a montipora cap. last week. its my first SPS. how do i know its happy? the monti is still bright green. its a small frag about 1 in in diameter.

not quite as easy as my SPS. they are easy to tell that they are healthy.

ill put some pics up later. i need to take one.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

As long as it doesn't lose color and grows it is happy. Montis have very tiny polyps. Montis are SPS corals.

4. slocal

slocal Doot!

As long as it has a thin, pale growing edge, it's happy.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

flow is one thing to consider IME as it grows larger
    If floaters like snail droppings are able to sit on them , then your flow will need attention

they are a bit trickier in terms of achieving this than the fingered SPS varieties due to the surface area and the ridges can become detrius traps

Steve

6. wfb2270

definitly dont have one of those. the edge looks like coral skeleton. i am assuming its cause its a recent frag???? i was trying to decide between this one and a blue rimmed cap. seeing that the blue rimmed was twice as much i opted for the cheaper for a first shot at SPS.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. slocal

slocal Doot!

Even though Steve's monti in his avatar is purple, you can still see the growing edge of his monti. It's paler in comparison and smooth. Keep in mind, there are some purple-edged green montis. Those are easy because if you see purple, they're growing.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Also they get better color if they're getting the light they like.

10. wfb2270

ok so i looked at the frag again. and looked at some google images. i can see the pale edge you are talking about. just not sure if the edge on mine is a sign of growth or just were it has been fragged. this would be much easier with a pic. i'll try and get one

11. wfb2270

i was told that me 6xT5s would be fine by LFS....anyone disagree??? just stock current bulbs which i have read kinda suck but planed on upgrading later. at least get some use out of the bulbs.

it is placed slightly below half. tried putting it up high on this long flat rock. but thats also the nerites breeding ground so it was getting knocked off at night.

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Those lights are more than adequate for montis. How high up in the tank is the frag?