How do I hook up an ozone generator with my skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by SeaGirl, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

Hi guys,

As I'm getting all my gear together, I'm seriously thinking of using ozone with my tank. My tank is 150 gallons and will be an LPS with fish tank, possibly SPS in the future once I get the hang of everything, being new and all. The skimmer I have is an H&S A150, and it will be run in sump. I was wondering how to hook up an ozone generator to this skimmer, if anyone has this particular one. What would be a good brand of ozone generator to use?
    If anyone could let me know that would be great. All you guys are awesome!

I wish tomorrow wasn't Monday--:bawling:I'd rather stay home and work on my plumbing!!:LolLolLol

2. Click Here!

3. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

haha i know the feeling, i cant help you unfortunately but i dont want to see your thread fall off so... help anyone?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Most of the large skimmers have Ozone ports already made into them. Not really familiar with the one you have but the PM bullet series and Aqua C's have Ozone ports built in.
    Do you have a tank controller to run the Ozone with?? If not then you need to get one with a controller built in. Red Sea 200 Plus is a good one and you can find them about anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  5. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

;DCool! Thanks for the help! I'll look into the Red Sea controller. My skimmer doesn't seem to have an ozone port--it only has an airline with a little plastic clamp on it. I guess this is where you hook up the ozone if you want--just not sure how.

6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

The other way is to hook up an air pump to the ozone unit and feed it through a wooden airstone into the skimmer reaction chamber.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Probably it...airline port is way to get ozone into skimmer.

Make sure to run skimmer outflow thru some carbon.

Also need ozone proof air tubing.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

;DThanks so much!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Ozone should never be just bubbled into the water via an air diffuser. Thats the way it was done long ago until the fish started to loose flesh :) you never want any Free ozone in the water .. It has or should be contained with in a reactor or skimmer then all the ozonenated water has to leave that reactor and be passed through carbon. and a little splashing and bubbling while being exposed to the atmosphere as as to revert from 0'3 back to 0'2 Just that single free molecule can kill a system over a period of time.

Ozone is great stuff and I love it but its like a loaded gun safe if understand it and you have to know how to handle it.. And a Controller is a must or a ORP meter and the 0'3 generator to be ran on a timer..

1 person likes this.
  11. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice, Tangster! Using ozone is starting to sound a little too scary--:shocked2: maybe I'll think about a UV sterilizer instead.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No OZONE is not scary at all and its far better then a U/V as far as I'm concerned a U/V is a total waste of money most negative press about ozone was produced when the U/V's hit the market.. Ozone is great and the best by far you just have to follow certain guide lines .. Back when I got my first Saunders unit 1970 or so they looked like a little pig LOL It really did as we all called them the little Pig's we used to bubble them into the tank on a timer on and off so many hrs a day controllers where not on the radar yet at this level.
    And some as with everything just figured that well if 3 hrs a day is good then 12 hrs aday has to be better. But if you get a good ORP controller then you will have no problems .. I think 0'3 is about the single thing that could be added to a tank. Simple cheap to maintain and they work. many many yrs. Look into the Red Sea Plus units O'3 reverts back to just air in a N.Y second or less , I just mentioned it so as to keepanyone from just blasting in raw Ozone through a airstone and pump