how do i get rid of aiptasia

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by cassidyarizona, Oct 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cassidyarizona

cassidyarizona Plankton

i have ton of aiptasia how do i get rid of them they are taking over my tank

2. Click Here!

3. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

I would go to your local fish store and purchase some AptasiaX. It works well. Also better water chemistry to prevent them from coming back.

4. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

i baught a pepermint shrimp 2 weeks ago a week lator aptasia gone not to mention there cool looking he dont pick on my corals eather but as usual your milage may verry

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I had wonderful success with peppermint shrimp in my 120 that was being overtaken. Just try to get smaller ones as they seem to get rid of it better and more consistently. Also if you do try peppermints get several as not all individuals will eat aiptasia.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I hate Peppermint Shrimp,

But for cases where aiptasia have gained a foot hold, they are the best option. But it also depends on what type of fish you have in your system. If the peppermint shrimp will not get eaten by a fish, this is the course of action I would take. Did I mention I hate Peppermint shrimp::)

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL I think I missed that.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

+1 man! I hate peppermints because they were eating all my corals food after I target feed them, They really got on my nerves.

Despite the fact that they make me hate them more and more every time I target feed, I have to say that they took care of my problem, hands down! After 4 or 5 days of adding 4 peps to my tank I never seen aiptasia any more. Aiptasia-X also works, but sometimes they come back if you don't siphon them out.. For example, apply the aiptasia x according to the video on utube, then wait 30 minutes and with a 3/4" hose (or whatever hose with enough inside diameter to pass aiptasia through) siphon all of them out so they do not come back.

Good luck!

10. nuisance

nuisance Astrea Snail

aiptasia

I have also found aiptasia on life rock I recently bought. What will happen if I place the rock in my sump where their is much less light than in the display tank? Will the aiptasia die or will it just get it's way back into the display tank?

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No aiptasia are not dependent on lighting to grow and reproduce. Aiptasia X can work fine in systems with a scattering of aiptasia, but when you get into colonies, you might as well bring out the big guns, otherwise you will fighting the little buggers for months and months.

12. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Peppermint shrimp are the devil! I had one and he refused to eat my aiptasia(one stalk...) and instead ate my frogspawn. Completely destroyed a frag in two nights.

Just be careful if going that route.