How do I get my clown to host my anemone

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by amberj, Oct 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amberj

amberj Astrea Snail

I just bought a tiny baby clown the other day (false percula I believe).

The first few days... all he did was cruise around the tank full speed non-stop.

Today I noticed he has slowed down and looks like he is trying to "host" himself on a piece of coral. Thing is.... its not the anemone.

I searched the forums and saw some people had stated that their clowns host to all kinds of things, clams, heaters, etc, etc....

Is there anyway to try to get them to host with the anemone?

and before I even try that.... he is tiny, about 0.5" long, and the anemone is about 2" across.... the anemone wont try to eat him will it?

I usually feed the anemone with shrimp cubes using a small medicine dropper.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

there's really no way to force him to host. My clown took interest in my frogspawn for a while but then lost interest. Sometimes they will host immediately, other times it may take while, it really depends on the fish

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

there are no tricks the clown will go to it when it wants too.

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

what type of anemone is it?

tube and sometimes even carpets are known for eating fish, tubes esspecially

if it's a bta just give it time

6. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

BTAs and Condys are not natural homes to percula clowns typically. (You did not state what kind you have.) They will use them sometimes and other times they wont. I have 2 clowns that chose a large hammer coral as home over a couple of anemones and have lived there for 2 or 3 years now. They will pick what they want.
    Enjoy them. They are a very good fish.

7. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

There was another post recently about a trick to get a clownfish to partake to an anemome, try searching around for it a little and maybe you will be lucky.

sorry i couldnt be any more help

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Try putting a picture of a clown hosting an anemone on your tank.;) Also, giving it time will help.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have heard of people putting there clowns with the anemone in like a HOB breeder tank for an hour or so with some success, too.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i guess you could trap a clown in a small space with it like pack attack suggested, but i would be afraid it would eat the fish(i don't know how clowns adapt to there anemones but im guessing they have to change there slime coat or secret a chemical to neutralize the stingers before they can host)

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like it's a bit dangerous. Could cause the clown to be eaten or stung. Could also cause stress to the anemone.