How do I frag Zoas?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by GitsieLouWho, Sep 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GitsieLouWho

GitsieLouWho Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Pack Leader and I recently fragged our GSP, It was so much fun. I want to learn how to frag button polyps and my clove polyp its pretty big I should spread the wealth. Any pointers?

2. Click Here!

3. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Go to youTube and just search for fraggin zoa's, Fragging coral, stuff of that nature. There are lots of helpful vids.

4. GitsieLouWho

GitsieLouWho Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats good to know, You Tube has everything...

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Depends on the polyps. Some you can chop off their heads and place them in low flow like mushrooms, some you cant.

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

either way be really careful, zoa's have a fairly potent toxin if they get cut wrong and it squirts you in the eye or mouth it can be really bad, like trip to the ICU bad

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well i think the toxin must hide a really good piece of meat, like puffers. so if i had the constitution i would try a bunch of different pieces lol

to frag zoa simply break the rock apart that they are on i found thats the easiest way

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Not to be a stick in the mud, but fragging Zoa's is not something to be taken lighly! Palytoxin is some really serious ****! It was used by Indiginous people to tip thier spears arrows to kill things in the past. As Iraf stated making a mistake with this stuff can and will lead to a trip to the hospital.

Here is a web site that has some pretty good information.

Here is a good link about this subject, sad but it shows what this **** can do!

Palytoxin
    The crude ethanol extracts of the Palythoa toxica proved to be so toxic that an accurate LD50 was difficult to determine. More recently, the toxicity has been determined to be 50-100 ng/kg i.p. in mice. The compound is an intense vasoconstrictor; in dogs, it causes death within 5 min at 60 ng/kg. By extrapolation, a toxic dose in a human would be about 4 micrograms. It is the most toxic organic substance known!
    Shimizu [27] and Moore [28] published the chemical structure of palytoxin and it was prepared synthetically in 1989 [29,30]. Palytoxin is a fabulously interesting compound, with a bizarre structure and many extraordinary signs (Fig. 6). Palytoxin is a large, very complex molecule with lipophilic and hydrophilic areas. The palytoxin molecule has the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms known to exist in a natural product. In the molecule of palytoxin, C129H223N3O54, 115 of the 129 carbons are in a continuous chain.. There are 54 atoms of oxygen, but only 3 atoms of nitrogen. Another unusual structure of palytoxin is that it contains 64 stereogenic centers, which means that palytoxin can have 264 stereoisomers! Added to this, the double bonds can exhibit cis/trans isomerism, which means that palytoxin can have more than 1021 (one sextilion) stereoisomers! This staggering molecular complexity should indicate the difficult nature of designing a stereocontrolled synthetic strategy that will produce just the one correct (natural) stereocenter out of >1021 possible stereoisomers.
    Palytoxin induces powerful membrane depolarization and ionic channeling [31,32]. Palytoxin is a potent hemolysin, histamine releaser, inhibitor of Na/K ATPase, and a cation ionophore [33]. It is also a non-TPA-type tumor promoter [34,35].

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Lots of good info on the toxins and dangers but no one really said here's how.

Next week I'll be moving some of my stuff from QT to my main tank. When doing this I want the polyps only, not the rock they're on.

I'm going to put on the aqua gloves and some safety goggles. Next I'll take a razor blade and just scrape them off of the rock they're on. try to do this in a seperate tub of saltwater under water so if you cut one it reduces the possiblity of squirting.

Once I have them scraped off of the rock I'll give them a rinse in some fresh saltwater and add them to the main tank. It's also a good idea to run fresh carbon for a week or so to suck up any toxins...

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good info guys, thanks!
    I have now been the one nominated to do the zoa fragging ;)

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

exactly how I did it, good advice