How do I fix this?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kdneo, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

I thought the pump was putting out 1100gph, but it turns out to be more than that. The pump sits basically on the ground and runs up, I would guess about 6.5feet (at work so I have to guess) Then splits into a SCWD. So I should be at around 1000gph. I will take the filter out tomorrow when I get home and crank the pump back up and see what happens. If it is filling with foam, whats the solution there?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Well, the pump is 1344 gph and your head loss is going to drop it into the 900’s I would guess. Look up the chart for head pressure for your pump and calculate what you have as you should know this anyway.

This forum will assist you with plenty of creative solutions, but first we need to identify the problem – post again once you try removing the filter sock.

4. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

ok, took the sock out, turned the pump up all the way. It flushed once right away. Then sat for about 20 mins and it flushed again. The flushing this time was further between flushes but seemed to last longer than when the sock was in. Next step drilling a bigger hole?

5. Crimson Ghost

Yes, you are on the right track. Drill the hole at the top larger and see the result. You should still calculate the actual head pressure loss, you may still need to cut the pump back if its delivering greater GPM than your drains can handle.

6. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

Ok, so the head pressure is 5 feet 3 inches. Given the following chart, looks like the output should be about 1150gph. The drain is big enough to keep up with that correct? Thus meaning that I must need a bigger hole. Will that eliminate the "foam" from forming in the sock?

http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/pumps/iwaki40rxt.html

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

ok, the 2 holes are now both 1/8 inch holes. Still get the sound once and a while, should I drill the holes 1 size bigger, or drill a third hole?

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

You can go larger as it's not going to hurt anything. However, now is probably the time to cut back the pump a touch (should not require anything like you were doing earlier).

Did you alot head pressure for your elbow's? I think it was Luna that posted that 1" drains will drop 1,000 GPH - and if I recall you are runnign 1.5". so you really shouldn't have a problem? What is the size of your bulk head?

Luna, question for you - if he has a 1" bulkhead and 1.5" drains, does the math on the GPH get calculated on the 1" or 1.5" or a combination? I suspect it would be the smaller of the two right? If so, kdnea - what size is that bulk head, we need to calculate your return gph vs. your overflow....your almost there, I promise !

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1/8" hole? If I remember correctly, the standard size hole for the Durso stand pipe is 5/16" or even 3/8". The good thing about this is that if you mess up on the hole, you can always replace the stand pipe.

As for your question(Crimson Ghost), every foot of pvc, 45 and 90 degree elbow, reducer(+/-) and LocLine spray bars will all affect the head pressure.

1' of pvc = 1' of head
    45* or 90* elbow= 1' of head
    reducer (-) = 1' of head
    reducer (+) = -1' of head
    LocLine spray bars will also add to the head pressure.

I hope this answers your Q.

luna

11. Crimson Ghost

Hi Luna, no I am sorry I was not questioning the calculation of head loss. But rather the GPH on his drain, if he is using 1.5” drains and his bulkhead is 1” does he calculate the gph of the drain limited to the 1” bulkhead?

But I also think your post on head loss will be benefitial as I do not believe he has calculated the loss correctly. His earlier post said the pump pumps up 5-6 foot, he would need to add loss for all elbows as well, I am not certain he has done this.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As far as the GPH, I would go by the smallest fitting in the equation. This is why I like to keep the drainage in one size all the way to the sump. The return is ok to have reducers and such.

luna