How do I fix this?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kdneo, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Luna Great And as always very informative post!

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Its my understanding that a 1" drain has a flow of 600gph and a 1 1/4" has a 700 gph flow

luna

4. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

I gated the valve back about 1/8turn and so far so good, I'll keep you posted!

5. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

ok, update, I have gated about 1/4 down now and still getting the same result. I will try a little further I guess.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I repeat my question.

luna

7. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

sorry luna, its sch 40 and 1.5 inch I have it gated between 1/4 and 1/2 off of full open and haven't had a toilet sound in a couple hours. But that seems like a lot to gate down on that pump

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Here's my scenario, I have a Magdrive 18 which pushes 1800gph. Take into consideration that I have roughly 7' of head, that leaves me with 1060gph(according to Danner's charts). I posted 3 pics of my stand pipe which is only 1" drain. That 1" drain is "sucking" roughly 1000gph. My question to you is, why is your 1.5" drain having trouble with 1100gph?
    Is 1100 gph a true estimate or is it a guess-timate? Did you take into consideration all of your head pressure?

luna

10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I googled your pump, Iwaki MD-40RXT – 1,344 per hour (advertised at 22.4 GPM on the iwaki web site) so I assume you have calculated your head loss and told us 1,100.

Try this, remove that filter sock and open up the gate valve – I suspect that sock is filling and foaming and releasing air up into the tube and creating your flushing effect.

If it flushes hit the valve again and see how much you need to cut it back this time, hopefully not as much as 1/2 - which is crazy

11. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Also keep in mind while testing that it can take a long time before the tank stabilizes at a certain flow rate. I've got a creative version of a durso and if I crank the pump up it flushes about every 5 minutes. When I crank it down to about 75% the 5 minute flush interval slowly increases to about a half hour which I can live with but it may take 4 or 5 hours to slow down that much.

Basically what I'm saying it make a change and wait a while to see the effect.

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

This I agree with, I just saw the sock on there. Cutting to 1/2 is not the solution as that is too much (why have the bigger pump then?). A third hole in the top of the cap may be in order also. Try a good size hole, you can always close it up or reduce it if need be. Some have drilled a large hole and screwed in a valve to have precise regulatory options for air intake.