How cold can a saltwater aquarium get?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Jgut3, Apr 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Lps, fish and inverts in the tank. Right now its at 72. Im right in the middle of the tornado destuction in alabama 14 dead in my county alone. We have no power or anyway to get gas. No gas within a 100 miles of us. I have a blanket on the tank right now. Power should be back on here sometime tomorrow were on a main line. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

2. Click Here!

3. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

My tank goes down to 69 degrees in the cold of the winter, never noticed anything bad come from it. Just don't crank the temps back up too fast

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I'm glad to here that you are okay, such a sad situation. Since gas is not an option a battery backup would come in handy.

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Sorry about the series of events.I would be more concerned about keeping the water oxygenated than the temp.

6. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

i second to that

7. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Ive been adding hydrogen peroxide to the tank every six hours so it good on oxygen. We got out ok i guess. Community next to us is gone. No power for them for 2-6 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

we had an ice storm here a couple of years ago and was without power for over a week and i had no way of getting heat to my tank. the house temp actually got down to 47 and i never lost a single fish or coral. i would say you should be ok. jmo

10. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

Do whatever you have to, to get that water oxygenated, even grabbing a pitcher and scooping it out of the tank, and dumping it back in will do wonders.

11. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Yeah ive been do that also. My fish so far are breathing normal. Thanks for the quick help guys means alot.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

jgut, Hate to hear it. HOpe you got power back on. that storm had me without power for 25 hours while we were 4 states away! thankfully a friend came by and hooked up a battery backup.
    I now have a generator in the ready.