How can you tell when a Zoanthid is dead or dying?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Da_Gopherboy, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

So I have the unfortunate displeasure of having some zoanthids not opening for a while. I posted the problem on http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/zoanthid-receeding-70645.html and tried the sugjestions. However now I need to know how I can tell when a zoanthid colony is on its way out. In the research I've read about, its basically when it gets real white and your clean up crew starts picking at it.

Now I've never lost a coral, nor do I care too, however I kinda need to know what I'm looking for to tell if ones dying or dead. Anyone have some things to look for? Would be appreciated :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

sorry gopherboy, i cant help, just offer condolensces. which i hopes not the case. zoas are very hardy but i guess all things come to an end. im curious aqlso with this case you are bringing up here. i do hope it all works out, and sorry im of no help

guy

4. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

+1 Bump.....Good question I'd like to know the same thing....no peoblems yet with mine but i'd like to know what to look for....

5. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Bump, with all the experience that 3reefers have I know someone has to have the answer or a source to find the answer :)

6. FLReef

FLReef Astrea Snail

I am experiencing the same thing. In a matter of 4 hrs it looked liked the rock was half filled. I thought something ate them but I have no coral eating fish. I feed the tank on the regular. Mine have not opened In a few days and linking weak. Have you figured out anything to stop the destruction. Keep us posted if you figure it out.

7. 5.0 7up stang

5.0 7up stang Banned

hey

i have been keeping these for awhile and from my experiance theres a couple things it could be first i would put them in better light, and see if they open up, and if you have moved them recently the sudden change of current and light can make them stay closed awhile and probably die, or something about your water may have changed which is killing them