How can I make my Zoanthids grow faster?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by bl**dydrivers, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bl**dydrivers

bl**dydrivers Astrea Snail

I have a large frag of Zoanthids the sze of a fist in one section of my tank, ive had it for coming upto 2 years, it hasnt spread, its only had a few more polys grow round the edge.

How can i make it grow faster? my yellow star polyps have spread in a matter of just a few months

my water quality is where it should be, even got a phosban reactor lastweek to make sure its good even though didnt detect no phosphates

2. Click Here!

3. dpandkevin

dpandkevin Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nice to see another reefer in South Florida. As for the corals where are they located in the tank and what kind of lighting?

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

lighting is a huge factor.... like the above post... what kind of lighting

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Target feed them.

1 person likes this.
  6. bl**dydrivers

bl**dydrivers Astrea Snail

dpandkevin likewise, never usually see anyone from south florida on here

i have a 55 gal, got 4.72 watts per gallon, have it a 1/3 away from the top of the tank and its in the direction of the flow (what is low right now since ive got water running through my uv sterilizer.

ive tried target feeding them in the past with zooplex and right after my cleaner shrimp steals the food from them.

i mean, they look great, they open all the way, look very colourful but they just dont seem to be spreading very fast at all.

7. dpandkevin

dpandkevin Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Time and patience. the watts per gallon is not a good way to decide if they are getting the proper amount of light now a days. If your shrimp is stealing the food I would try a "decoy" Put the zooplex in another part of the tank when you see the shrimp go for it then add it to your corals. I have a sailfin and trigger that luvs to try to steal food from the acans. I just keep them busy with pellets while the acan's gets a belly-full. What LFS do you shop at? Most of my inhabitants come from Barrier Reef here in Boca.

8. Click Here!

9. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

zoas like to be at the bottom of the tank i would move them if there in the upper half of your tank

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i found this works about 60 percent of the time,

first thing to try is slit the base of the zoa or paly with a razor this will some times cause then to sprout a new zoa or paly where u cut them, other times they just heal up

also this is slow but if u have palys and u cut the stalk and glue the head to a rock and leave some stalk they will both regrow to normal size

now in the second one sometimes either or can die more most of the time they are fine

1 person likes this.