How can I frag these babies?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Jay, Aug 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hello everyone:

I have this cool Frogspawn that has been growing really well and its heads have been splitting. But now there is these small baboes growing out of the side of the stock. There is probably 2 to 4 on each head . Some are bigger than others with the biggest ones sticking out mabey 1/2 inch. They are stariong to extend their tenticles like their parents but are always in the shade of the mothers tenticles. Can I break them off with a needle nose or mabey cut them with some side cutters? Has anyone else had success fragging these type of heads?

Heres a picture
    http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=702&cat=500&page=1

Thanks
    Jay

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I frag my frog spawn all the time.

When you do it only cut into the hard calcified skeleton. And give it a couple of inches of skeleton don't cut real close the the flesh.
    I use large side cutters

Good luck

Jason

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

but he should wait till they grow a bit larger right? they seem very very small :)

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Nah, not to small at all. I've done them many times that size. Kinda nice to watch a VERY small piece grow big REAL quick :D

I use either my small bone shears or some kitchen shears. I glue the single head with super glue to a plug and away it grows ;)

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Jason and Gresham:

Did you guys look at the picture? I have fragged my torch and understand how to frag when its a seperate branch that has split but these are just small heads growing from underneath the main head. I mean they are not even as large or as long as a pencil eraser. Well mabey as long as a eraser. Please look at the picture to see what I meen. If you think I can saftly cut them off without killing them then I will try and do it and glue them to a small rock.

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=702&cat=500&page=1

Thanks
    Jay

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Oh I see now, Sorry.
    Gresham may have a different opinion because he has prob. Fragged 1000s but I would let then grow a bit

I have lost all the pics from the old site but I used to have a shot of my Frog spawn. I'll post it when I get home.

Anyway, Wouldn't it be cool if you grew out your colony? Or do you have buyers already for your frags.

I know a guy that frags his at the same size yours are. But you'll have to wait for Gresham to learn how

Jason

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I really dont want to frag it but they get zero light because when that coral expands after the lights have been on for a hour its like almost 8 inches across. I just dont think they would grow. I have a 2 torches 2 frogspawns and a hammer. They have all split. My forst torch started with 4 heads now there are 9 or 10. Thats in just 1 year. My small hammer turned from 1 small tiny head and is now 4 and my other frogspawn is still 1 head but is about to become 3....I would say 1 more month. I guess I will wait and see what happens with the babys for a while. Mabey I will take 1 and see if I can make it happy. I really enjoy this new hobby.

Jay

10. Rob

Rob Astrea Snail

i would wait, i have a frog spawn and he is getting big. almost ready to cut but what type of tool do you use to cut the hard skeleton?

thanks

1 person likes this.
  11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Most folks use a dremel.

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I use a cordless dremel with a diamond cutting wheel to frag all kinds of stuff. Bone shears can be quite handy also. ;)