How Big a Tank?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by copenhagen1221, Mar 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. copenhagen1221

copenhagen1221 Astrea Snail

How big of a tank do you need for a clam? Do they move around, or if they fit are you good to go? I have a 3gal tank with a 2x18 Watt compact flourescent light. Yes, no, maybe?

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'm no expert but I Thought i'd give me little input.
    Thay don't move around.
    Generally you don't need a large tank (I think) I think the same rules apply as to fish, the larger the size tank, the larger they grow. (I may be wrong)
    Nope.. Not enough light.
    You need a lot more lighting and a lot of water circulation for it to thrive.

4. copenhagen1221

copenhagen1221 Astrea Snail

5. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

clams actually can move around if they are unhappy.. they actually have legs that enable them to move around.. and they can also attach themselves to a rock or a spot they feel like they can thrive at..
    in a 3gal tank, i would definitely not recommend you getting a clam.. not to mention, the lighting is not enough.. i would recommend at least t5 high outputs if you want to keep clams..
    maybe in the future when you upgrade :D
    we're all bound to upgrade one day!
    i'm sure there are a lot more interesting and beautiful corals out there, pass up on the clam :D
    not to mention, they can also crash your tank if you don't pay attention and it dies in your tank..