hospital-treatment/quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by schassler, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schassler

schassler Plankton

I am looking for advice on a hospital-treatment tank setup.My main tank has ich. I have lost 3 fish and my last 2 Percula clowns are hanging in. Since I have invertebrates and live rock I have been treating with kick-ich with mixed results ( second dosage started this week ). I am going to pull out the clowns and treat them in a 10 gallon hospital-treatment tank for the 5 day prescribed treatment then move them for 7 more weeks to a 10 gallon quarantine tank so my main tank can sit for 8 weeks. My quarantine tank will have an established cycle so the stress will be less in the smaller tank. I plan on not adding any bacteria to the hospital tank and just do any needed water changes for the 5 days then move them. Is this a good idea or should I also add bacteria to the hospital-treatment tank

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good idea to do the hospital treatment and main tank fallow for 8 weeks. Personally, though, I don't believe you need 2 separate tanks for HT and QT, especially for clownfish which are fairly hardy. Here is what I would personally do:

Treat in HT with copper for about 2 weeks to make sure you get all the parasite. Then do a 100% water change, run carbon, and get rid of any filter media that was in contact with copper. And let the clowns stay in, what is now, your quarantine (rather than hospital) tank. As long as you stay on top of frequent water changes for the first little while in the QT, you shouldn't need to have it cycled previously. And again, clowns are almost as hardy as damsels for cycling.

That's how I would do it, and in fact that's how I did it for my own fish some months ago (although I had more fish and a larger QT).