Hospital Tank

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Matt121, Feb 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

I have setup a hospital tank but seeing as there is no live rock or live sand I have to do water changes every few days to keep all of the levels in check, how high can ammonia get before it is a real problem?

Thanks
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

anything above zero is too high. What type of filtration are you using? I would recommend seeding the pad or something of the filtration in your display tank so you can have some of the beneficial bacteria in the tank.

I would also recommend doing more frequent water changes..... and use the water from your display tank for the changes (only if your water in your DT is good!)

1 person likes this.
  4. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+1 Ammonia is lethal in the smallest doses in your tank. It can cause stress, burning of the gills and death. Water changes from your DT and if you have a small amount use an ammonia binder to prevent the harmful effects hurting your fish.

5. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

The filter is a penguin bio wheel but it is new so it's not doing much, I had to remove the charcoal as I am treating with Copper for ich..... Guess I will be doing a lot of water changes. The level is at 0.25 at the moment

Seeing as I can't use anything out of the DT is there anything else I can do as well as water changes?

Thanks