Horrible LeeMar Experience (customer service)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by qualitydaydream, Jun 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just posting an experience that i've had with Leemar twice.

My first 180 tank was by Leemar lasted a few years before there was a leak at the seam. I figured it was a great opportunity to upgrade to a larger tank so thats what I did. replaced everything went with LED's etc..

My new 225 Leemar was custom nice beveled edges. I was very happy until it leaked.

I think there are pics of my 2 tanks on this board somewhere.

I had my maintenance company come help with the clean up and storage of my corals and they told me the tank should be covered under warranty.

I called Leemar and a person by the name of Brian was there to help and had his delivery truck thats in the area pick up the tank for inspection. He was helpful and polite during this call.

Here's where things went south. I saw the tank at the LFS awaiting pick up there was one long single crack at the bottom center of it which I have pictures of.

When I called Leemar they told me the entire bottom was shattered from blunt force...?

I explained that it wasn't that way while it was at the LFS. Brian this time must have been having a very bad day. He was argumentative, interrupting, telling me he's going to hang up on me. What was I saying to him? I was simply asking for a clear answer if it would be covered or not and how much it would be to get repaired and sent back. It got even worse then he said he shouldn't even be dealing with me directly and that I'm lucky he's even talking to me.

Thats when I started requesting better customer service and to speak with his supervisor. He would not tell me his last name, He would not allow me to speak to a supervisor.

A little background on me now. I'm not upset about any of this. I'm going to buy a bigger, more expensive tank perhaps Reef Savvy? (suggestions?) what I'm saying is a 1500 tank won't sweat me nor will a 3k or 6k tank. I'm just shocked at the service and how the entire transaction went.

I did some searching most comments about leemar are positive. I wasn't looking for free, or a discount. I just wanted to make it known that Brian's customer service was horrible.

Nuff on that, whats the best Glass Tank money can buy? I'm thinking 225-300 rimless extra thick with clear glass.

Any help is appreciated in helping me find a new builder. I will never buy Leemar again after my nightmare experience with Brian.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

My question is why you are having to get involved. If the tank was under warranty, the LFS should have handled the issue with Lee-Mar. In my time in this hobby I have seen only 3 problems with Lee-Mar tanks. One had the top brace come off when the belly of a portly gentleman was laying across it. On had the seam on the front panel blow out and one had a leak in the seam. Obviously the eurobrace is not made to withstand the weight of a 200+ lb man. The other two, Lee-Mar blamed faulty stands. Both of those had home made stands. I have had my Lee-Mar for 10 years problem free. My friends tank is now 16 years old and leak free. At least 15 other members of our club also have large Lee Mar tanks and all are problem free. Many may claim to be better but they will have a hard time proving it. Lee mare is for the most part the Best in the West. The person at Lee Mar in charge is Jeff Boyd. That is who you need to speak to! His email is [email protected] (Just fill in the website info).

BTW, did the tank sit on a Lee-Mar stand? If so, it will be tougher for them to argue. I would be respectful and hide you emotions as any bit of tension may make them go defensive.

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

may i ask what it is you do for a living to not care about dropping 6 grand on a fish tank? lol

5. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm glad your tanks have lasted but in my experience two new tanks leak & crack within 6 years is a red flag.

The stand was done by Creative Woodworking they supply much of socal & vegas with wood stands. Very good company. Just about every shop in vegas uses them. My floors are level.

I'm not emotional. I'm just done with Leemar based solely on poor service. Brian could have saved the customer by simply being polite. Thanks for the email I'll just file a complaint about Brians tone with me. Everyone has bad days but it should never spill over to the customer.

What do I do? (shameless plug) I sell the most high end Japanese Golf Clubs in the world. Shameless plug removed....sorry.

Anyway so I'm now looking at Visio tanks and reef savvy. What I'm thinking is:

- Starphire Glass
    - 3/4" thickness
    - Rimless or center eurobrace

** Tell me what you think about this:

A ledge in the thick glass rim that can support a clear acrylic top. That way I have the "Rimless look" with a clear durable cover to slow evaporation & keep salt off of furniture.

Thinking Visio as they do Glass & Acrylic and can get it to fit perfectly where as ReefSavvy only do glass.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

why not just get a custom built aquarium? have it built into your wall or something? i love those. lol

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Visio is definitley not on par with Lee-Mar. A friend of mine sprung a leak in his 120g after one year. He called another friend of mine and that friend laughed at him. One week later his 300g Visio sprung a leak.

Best built might be an AGE. Their problem is they take forever so you have to have patience. I know of no one who got their tank within the stated timeframe or even within 2 months of that timeframe. Their tanks are built with PVC bottoms in which their glass panels ride down in a routered grove which drastically strengthens the seams.
    Acrylic and Glass Exhibits

If you would consider acrylic, the best acrylic tanks I have seen come from CAL Aquaria
    I have seen 2 tanks from them a 8' long 600g and a 10' long 900g. Even with those long lenghts, the panels don't even bow. Not a single bubble in the seams.
    http://www.calaquaria.com/index.html

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I am a big fan of Deep Sea Aquatics. They are the old Oceanic guys (before AGA bought them and moved the production facility) and make top quality tanks (custom and a few standard models).

Edit: My customer service experience with DSA happened before it was delivered. They had a cold front running through Texas and it caused some bubbles to form in the silicone while it cured. They asked whether I wanted that tank (due to timing) or I wanted a new one. They were fine either way.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I hate to hear that.
    My 100G Diamond Edge Lee Mar which I custom ordered with an offset overflow and multiple drilled holes in locations I specified has been great for almost 9 years now.
    I have not had the need to contact them directly though as I did everything through my LFS and the tarnsaction went very smooth, the tank even arrived ahead of the promised date.

11. Seiryoku

Seiryoku Plankton

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I was actually looking at your thread else where and I was shocked at the craftmanship, disappointment would not even come close to how I would feel.