hoping I'm on the right track

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fears, Mar 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fears

fears Astrea Snail

hey all

I'm about 5 weeks into my first SW tank. In the begaining I added about 25lbs of LR to my 55 gal tank with a power compat lighting system. The tank seams to be cycling ok, about 2 weeks into the cycle I got the brown algea (thanks to this site I was ready and did not panic :p) that did go away and I can tell some of the coraline algea is spreading, cool! So as recomended by my local shop I added more LR, another 20lbs. Now I see the tank has started another mini cycle which I expect is ok. I plan to continue added LR in 20lbs increments untill I reach around 70lbs.

OK so I have a few questions...

1) I have a CPR wet/dry filter system with a built in Skimmer, it seams to be doing the trick but I worried I'm on the brink of a catasrophy, am I?

2) all this rock is displacing water, will this turn into a problem? The wet/dry prob holds about 20gal

3) is it possible to add hard corals with a compat lighing system? The bulbs are 96watt 36in actinic and a 96watt 36in white(I forget exactily what type it is a carry over from my freshwater planted tank, which did really well btw)

and last but not least...
    4) there is a very bright lime green algea on the rocks and small dots on the glass, what does this mean? Is there too much light, too little?? or normal??

Of course I'm getting impatient and want to add criters, so instead I will come to 3reef and vent. thanks guys :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Intelligent Questions

1.) If you plan on having any fish then buy a good, and I mean good skimmer. They are worth their weight in gold for the amount of waste they remove.
    2.) All you have to do is just remove the excess water if the rock you add starts to displace too much.
    3.) It is possible, but not likely in my opinion. Your tank would have to be very shallow. Less than 16" tall.
    4.) I believe it is part of the normal cycling process.

Enjoy

Jim

1 person likes this.
  4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Fears, it looks like your on the right track. Just be patient and don't rush things. Slower is better in this hobby! You may want to get rid of the wet/dry when your tank has 1-2lbs/gal of live rock as it will not be needed and will contribute to high nitrates which are unhealthy for corals and invertebrates. Just invest in a very good skimmer.
    As far as keeping some LPS corals you could probably get away with it with your lighting but only with the types that don't need intense lighting like open brain corals and a few others. My first reef tank was a 30g with 1 96w PC and I kept an open brain coral, frog spawn and trumpet coral for 2 yrs and I still have them today in my 75g. Others may disagree. For the most part I would stick with softies.
    Karma for you and welcome!

1 person likes this.
  5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

First of all, the filter is fine. I run it. A lot of people say that you will never have an ammonia spike with it because of the bio-bale. The skimmer is a built in venturi style. Yes, there are better ones out there but this one is good if you tune it right. Run it high and it will skim some of the nastiest stuff, gauranteed!

Another thing, the PC setup you have will be good for softies and some hard corals. Dont think it will be good for Acropora or even some of the more light intensive LPS corals, like the goniopora sp. You will definetly need to supplemented for the more intense corals, which I know you will fall for later on. If you can afford it, go with a 175w halide.

For the displacement, it's normal, when you add rock, it will hightened the water level, just take some out and it will be ok.

Those bright slime green dots might signify the first level of coralline growth in the tank, that's good. You'll get more of it with the coming weeks. Coralline growth starts with green, then pink, then finally purple. It comes in different colors.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  6. SaltyNovice

SaltyNovice Plankton

I certainly understand your need to vent. I'm in my sixth week and still haven't put any critters in yet either. I've got a 120 gallon cycling right now. I hope to be able to put a fish in there maybe in 7 to 10 days. My LR has been in the tank for four and a half weeks now. The ammonia has gone to zero for about seven days now. The nitrites are still reading 2ppm. I'm starting to see some nitrate readings I believe - it's hard to tell with these color cards though (may be wishful thinking) LOL!!! Anyway sounds like we are both almost there. One thing I really like about this hobby so far - You can do it your own way and there seems to be thousands of ways to be successful as long as you are patient!! Just my .02 worth!! Good luck.

SaltyNovice

1 person likes this.