home made rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by stuticius, Feb 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stuticius

stuticius Plankton

hello im looking to get into the hobby i was wondering other than the leaching issues with home made rock are there any other problems? and how dos it perform? im not looking to have rock for another year or so so the time it takes to leach it is not an issue

im mainly just wondering if any one has a follow up on the topic all i ever find is threads on rock they just made but never how it is over time in a tank

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Maybe insanespain will hop on this thread. I know all his rocks were homemade.
    Look for his 65g build thread.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Its fun to make, and it performs well. It is very pourous and theres really no problems using it. You need to cure it in freshwater for a long time and change the water often. While the portland cement is curing it will raise the ph of the water until it is fully cured. You need to test for ph in the curing water until it gets to the point where it doesnt affect the ph. Then it will be ready to use. Ive had mine for about 2 yrs and it is all colored up and full of pods and other life. I was actually debating on making some more here recently to get some specific pieces i want for the scape in my tank.

5. stuticius

stuticius Plankton

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

7. stuticius

stuticius Plankton

right on ty for the links. my plan is to setup a planted tank while i get everything ready for sw (mostly diy) im a stay at home parent so i got more time than money lol i live in out in the sticks and do not have a good LFS so i figure if i go nice and slow, ask many questions and cut cost where i can it will save alot of mistakes and lost fish/corals and shipping