Home made frozen food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Scuba Ken, Jul 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I get several blocks of frozen food, a good slug of marine snow and what ever other foods. Have about, I add these t a blender cup and place frozen shrimp, krill, octopus, squid, crab and muscle in to the blender cup, I turn it on and blend all the big chunks out, I add salt water from the tank to make it wet.

I pour this mixture into ice cube trays and leave them to freeze, I pop the cubes out and put them into a ziplock baggy.

Cheap food blocks and loads of them, my fish love them ! ! ! ! And so do my corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Very cool idea!!!

Thanks for sharing :)

4. jeremya

jeremya Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm planning on making my own meaty food as well. I was thinking of using ice-cube trays too, but started thinking that they might be to big. I had a thought that wedding-mint molds might work better; they are alot smaller and would make a more usable size chunk.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

If you go to Bed Bath and Beyond they sell 1/4 ice cube size trays. This might be better for your application.

Good luck

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How thick do you leave the pieces? I assume you don't want this like a smoothy. I know my grocery store sells a frozen seafood medley of sorts (shrimp, squid, fish etc.). Something to consider.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

fasukum, I have not done this before but from what I have read, I think it should be thin milkshake-consistency.

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

I blend it down to a smooth paste, some little lumps, my Cody goes nuts !

The big ice cube is ideal, I only feed 2 times a week, sometimes 3 if I am feeling "flash". LoL

I also feed my Cody whole shrimp, he adores them LoL. I could swear he makes a yum yum noise !

10. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I use mini ice cube trays. About the size of frozen food cubes.

Attached Files:

11. Scuba Ken

I also add a little GARLIC, and some vitamins they love that stuff ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I use a seafood medly from Trader Joes (they don't add trisodium phosphate to preserv it) and add blood worms, mysis, silversides, formula 1 & 2 flakes and selcon...oh and a bit of fresh garlic. I use a garlic press for now but have been looking for the old style baby food grinder as this will leave small chunks, which my fish seem to like and I think more can be eaten that way since I don't have a lot of coral to eat the micro bits. I then put it into the ice cylander cube tray meant for water bottles.....when frozen, pop em out and cut to desired size.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012