Holy lighting!!!!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mikejrice, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Just got back from a rumage through Wal Mart for possible reef use cheap items. Found the most amazing possible lighting Iv ever seen! Socket LED light bulbs for $5 and clip on socket lights for about $8. So Im thinking its too good to be true there probably 3000k lights that are good for nothing but growing algea. Come to find out through the internet there 6500k bulbs. Whats everyone think on this? Im thinking about adding a couple of clip on lights to the back of my tank angled in under my main lighting.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You could put those over your tank, and even the fluorescent 6500K GE have some really good PAR values. But your tank will have a yellow, even orange, tint to it and algae tend to prefer that spectrum of light. Also the PUR (photosyntheticly usable radiation) is low. Not a lot in the 420 to 460nm spectrum (if any).

Too good to be true dude. Reef lighting is, unfortuately, something you need to spend the money on.

5. mikejrice

Figured that. Thats why Im only thinking accent. Keep my PC and add a couple of these for a little more light and that awesome shimmer effect only MH or LED seems to give.

Wal Mart has an easy return policy I might just have to rent some of these to test them...

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I don't see a problem with accent. I would just make sure the parameters are in check, that phoshates and nitrates are kept to zero. Without nutrients, lighting in that spectrum will not be problematic.

7. mikejrice

Ill wait tell my mandgroves start rooting then. They are supposed to eat phosfates like crazy. Never been able to read any nitrates in my tank. Ill post something when I test them out.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Mangroves also remove Mg from what I hear......so keep a good eye on that param. Which reminds me.....I just added a clam. I need to check my Ca.....

1 person likes this.
  10. mikejrice

Big K+ for that. Had no idea.

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

John, many BLUE/actinic lamps have not so high PAR but great PUR, example are you favoriter UVL lamps....

12. mikejrice

I ordered a new fixture for my reef last night. 1-250 MH and two 96 PC's with moonlights. No need for these bulbs now.