HOB Refugium for Sump?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by tpasche, Jul 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey all,
    I have a 93cube and due to that i'm a bit limited on space. I have a 20g tall as my sump with 2 sections. Was wondering if it's possible to do a HOB refugium on the sump or if anyone has done this, what's the experience?

A 20g long is too long, the stand is 30x30.

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Here's my opinion, skip the fuge and plan for a turf scrubber. I don't think the HOB fuge would do as much as the ATS.

Hmmmmmmmmm, depending on the HOB fuge, you might be able to easily mod that into a ATS, that would be cool! With the numerous styles of led sticks out there, you could get a 12" long red led stick and have the water flow over a plastic needlework thingy... Sorry, I know it's a craft item, I just can't think of what it's called.

4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Remember a Fuge is not just a place to remove nitrates and phosphates, it's main goal is to raise pods and keep them safe so they can multiply and feed your inhabitants. As for your question about a HOB refugium working on a sump, I do not see why it would not work. As long as space allows for it under your stand, you should be good to go.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Matt, the last time you had one of those bright ideas;
    I moved a wall in my basement and my former 125gDT is now down there as my sump/fuge!
    Thanks again for the motivation spark!

zesty likes this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

HaHa!! Well, I'm glad you like the idea! I've seen a bunch of different style DIY ATS builds out there, it's all about getting the flow over the plastic at the surface of the water with a certain color of red LED. Take that idea and look at what you have in the scrap pile and start thinking. I saw a plastic rectangular planter that could hold a pump and a screen and have a strip led light on there...
    Oh and the other thing that's necessary is cleaning the screen once a film of algae builds up, so more can build up again.

Anyway, I may have to see how long the Mad DIY'r Dr Sails takes to slap one together!! Muhahaha