HOB overflow and eshopps fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by jborlace, May 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

Thinking about going with the eshopps HOB overflow and sump/fuge setup. Have no idea what all I need. Or what to look out for. Pros and cons. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have been using Eshopps hob overflow (300gph model)and rs75 sump for a little over a year.It has worked well for me.The hob overflow is not as safe as a drilled tank would be but mine has never lost siphon in the year+ that I've been using it and I turn my pump off daily for feeding.The sump is ok though a little small.PROs,it is reasonably priced for a store bought sump,has good depth so it handle a good volume of water when the return pump is shut off or in the event of a power outage,and has a nice bulkhead and filter sock setup.CONS,it has only two chambers which is not a good setup if you want a chamber to use as a refugium.The bubble trap is only two baffles with a foam block between them.It works well with foam block in place but it must be cleaned often.

4. jborlace

What would happen if it lost siphon and the pump was on ?

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

disaster!!

6. jborlace

That's what I figured.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Not necessarily disaster,it would pump the return chamber dry and could damage the return pump.If you have ATO it would also pump any water that the ATO adds into your tank.My ATO which is a Tunze nano model times out after adding about 1/2 gallon and shuts down.My display tank can contain that much added water(return chamber+1/2gallon) without overflowing.So unless the overflow and ATO both fail at the same time my tank can't overflow.All that said a drilled tank with properly plumbed overflow is still a better way to go.How big is your tank,is it an up and running system or is this a new build?

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I ran an Eshopps overflow and sump for two years on my 55. Never once lost siphon, nor do I think I would have it was still running. Very reliable and a good option. Much noisier than a drilled tank with a different style overflow, but great for tanks that can't be drilled.

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

i have the 800gph overflow with 2 drains. It made so much noise. I made 2 gurglebusters. The only noise I hear now is the water falling into the tank side of the box. Any other noise just means i need to tweak one of the gurglebusters. I HIGHLY recommend them, for the Eshopps overflow at least.

11. jborlace

It's for my 40 breeder that's up and running. Thought about getting a HOB refugium but I don't have enough room behind the tank to put one. May not be enough for a HOB overflow either. Got right at 4 inches from tank to wall.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

The Eshopps 300gph overflow is a little over 31/2 inches,just measured mine.My tank is a 40b also and was up and running before I installed the sump and overflow.I would have rather made my own sump from a 20long but could not fit one in the stand without moving the tank and lowering it in from above.