Hitchhiker Id

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by pmanzi, Feb 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

I have a 2 for one hitchhiker id I could use some help with.
    I noticed today several white and brown worms coming out of the different pieces of rock.
    In the background is one of several white "fuzzy" things that are on the rock. I have touched them with a needle and the are soft.
    I purchased most of the rock from an established tank that was being torn down around Xmass, the fuzzy things have always been there but the worms are I just noticed today. Earlier this week a baby starfish came out I do not expect him to survive long but he is fun to look at while he lasts.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ok, well the worms i believe most of us here at 3 reef have decided that...well they are some kind of penut worm and are reef safe...mine eat the food that my fish dont :) as for the fuzzy white things...its hard to tell from the pic but they could be small sponges i just got a large growth in the front of my tank...:)

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i second the vote on peanut worms there a good addition , you might have sponges comming back on the live rock which are a sign of a healthy tank sponges may come in many shapes or colors if they are real fuzzy they may be qtip sponges hence the name since they look like the end of a qtip http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/sponges.htm also what kind of starfish did it look like? small and white, or maby a mini brittle star if so they can be quite hardy and reproduce quickly especialy the mini brittle stars they only get a inch long but are very good scavengers

5. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

Thanks Bruce and Karlas for the ids, that is exactly what the "fuzzy" things look like.
    As for the star, when I first saw it it was maybe 1/8 inch across and solid white. I saw it again a few days later and it was about 1/4 inch and gray with a red spot in the middle. I have not seen it in about a week now so I am not sure if some had a good dinner or if he is just hiding.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ok i cant remember the name of the white stars but i had them to they had the red dot in the center he might be hiding plus they seem to come out more at night. check your glass with a flashlight during the night and you will prolly see them. there not bad they actually threw some in with a detrivore kit when i had gotten it from inland aquatics. they dont get very big but they wont hurt anything

7. reptoreef

reptoreef Plankton

asterinas, I believe... small and spread qiute rapidly. Although, I have had no real troubles with them, others claim they're a pest. The worm looks peanut to me and those "white spots" look like sponge, too. BTW, if you're interested and don't have any other stars that you are willing to lose, harlequin shrimp eat stars like candy.

Jason