Resolved Hitchhiker ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mike007, Jan 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Soo, This little guy came with my 3lb piece of Live rock and I was wondering if he's reef safe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Here is a Guide to Hitchhikers. Hard to tell from a pic and I'm no expert, but it looks like a Xanthid crab.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Im almost 99.9% sure thats a mithrax crab..From what i have read and known about them they will act the same as a emerald crab, i know a few people who have them.

5. Dratini

Dratini Plankton

If you get a clearer picture of the claws it will make it easier to identify. Many species of mithrax crab are considered pests and as they grow will become opportunistic eaters and take small fish when possible. I just had to remove a banded clinging crab for this very reason. It's a shame too, I rather liked him until he started killing my yellow clown gobies.

6. Zoanthids21

Most crabs will get to that point. Emerald crabs do the same thing, they can get a little too big and start taking out some of the smaller fish. Crabs are just like that IME.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

IMO Gorilla crabs have a different coloration and are more "hairy".

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

IMO, this particular ID looks nothing like a mithrax crab in the coloration. More hairs? How can you make that assumption judging by the quality of the pics? IMO, it easily looks 90+ % more like a gorrilla than a mithrax regardless of the picture quality. Either way, it was just a guess. Crabs aren't my forte.
    EDIT:
    mithrax
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=510
    gorrilla
    http://www.google.com/images?oe=utf...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=510

11. Zoanthids21

True..I saw this post of almost he SAME crab on this other site a few days ago and it was a pinkish looking emerald crab..And they all said it was a mithrax crab..

http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/emerald-crab-64770.html

Scroll down to the pinkish redish crab.

12. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Thanks For all the replies everyone! I think it is indeed a Gorilla. I'll take another picture of it now and show the hairy top and claws just to make sure.

If it is, should I take it out? I don't want to have to worry about supplemental feeding and whatnot when it gets big. I don't want to deal with it really. ::)
    Is it worth anything for a trade at the LFS?