Resolved Hitchhiker crab red lines on top of head?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Jul 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Hey guys! One more. Looong time ago I've seen something inside the rock and finally ended up giving up and thinking that it was one of my emerald crabs, but after my ALK spike which I blame for the death of 2 of them and the re-appearance of this little fellow got me curious again to try to trap it, unless it is a good, reef safe creature that won't eat my fish in the future!!

Here are the pics and this is the best I can do since he doesn't leave the holes in this very, highly holey piece of rock since the day I saw him in there. The 3 stripes on his top part are red, like king crab red and they're located 1 in the dead center of the top shell and two more that start from right behind his eyes, which are also red, by the way.

[​IMG]

One more...

[​IMG]

I was unable to see if his claws are pointy or not. He stays hiding. I'll try to catch a glimpse again tonight.

Thanks for the help!

- Mag.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

When I click on the second picture, the crabs claws appear to have a point.

Edit: both claws are the same size?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Sorry, I can't ID between my old eyes and those two shots.

Try here: Crab Hitch Hikers

6. Seano Hermano

Crab Hitch Hikers

Scroll down to Porcelain Crab. Yours looks like the one on far right in the first row.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I was unable to see if in fact is pointy claw or not. He stays very much hidden. I may have to figure out a way to trap him. His left claw is much bigger than his right claw. Does it mean anything?

I googled it but nothing came up that is similar to my little hichhiker! Thanks! Keep throwing names or possible matches! I'll check them out!

I'm going to read the Crab ID threads now. Hope I find one like him. He has never been out of that rock.... in fact, I believe that he was much more smaller when I saw him the first time, 7 months ago. And he's now almost double the size!

:)

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

This would be his "hunting" claw; meaning I think it is going to be a predator in your tank. I am unsure though.

10. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

most Xanthid crab species have black tips on there claws. i have seen some white and bright orange that are xanthid crabs too so if anything try to catch it and put it in your sump or fuge.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I see.. I've been looking at the Xanthidae species and the body shape does match, the colors don't. But I've seen most of them have red eyes and pincers are black. I'll try to catch him tonight. Still need to see what I can entice him with. I don't have any shrimp or dried up clams.

Thanks!!

If anyone can confirm this it would be great. He's been living there for at least 7 months or little longer. I haven't noticed anything missing or eaten on any of my corals and for the past 2 nights I've been trying to get a shot instead of capturing him... I'll put the shot glass with something to make him hungry, but I'm sure I'll get the nassarius instead. This guy does not leave the caves of this big rock.

- Mag.

12. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp