Hitchhiker crab.. killer?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by wisper, Jan 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wisper

wisper Plankton

The tank has been going for about a month and a half now and today I noticed a small crab in the live rock - had to be a hitchhiker. I did not get a good look at him and unfortunatley an even worse picture (time for a macro lens!). He looked to be dark grey in color with lighter grey bands on his legs. He had what looked like a pretty sharp claw which looked to be brown. So far I have had a fire fish and a peppermint shrimp (bought two - found one dead - have never seen the other one) die (or murdered). I also at times hear "cracks" coming from the tank - like the glass is cracking... freaked me out when I first heard it. Is this guy a suspect or an innocent bystander?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

The cracks can be mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. I'm sure you'd know if you had a pistol shrimp. Mantis shrimp are a little harder to find and they would have ot be pretty darn large to kill your fish. I would suspect a mantis is what you have and the cracking would be it cracking a shell. As for your crab, I can't tell... If it's fuzzy and has serrated claws then I would get rid of it.