Hitch hiker

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Gaspare, Nov 2, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Hello Everyone.

I puchased some live rock yesterday and to my surprise this morning I found a redish brown crab with bright red eyes hiding in the holes of the rock. It is shaped like my emeral crab. I purchased this rock out of the coral tank at big als. It came with some neat small star polyps and xenia. But I didn't expect the crab. Can anyone tell me if it should come out? Thanks :-[

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I would post a picture if possible. Some crabs are not too nice. I would trap it either way just so you can take a good pic. You can do a search for trapping methods. I would try the tilted glass trap first. Lean a glass against the live rock. Put some meaty food in the bottom of the glass. When they go in to get the food, the sides of the glass are too slippery for them to get back out.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Red Eyed crabs are usually nasty little killers. I would get that picture when you have caught it and put it in your sump

J

5. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thank you I will try to catch him. I hope he has not gone to far.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

it sounds like you got what i got rock crabs if you can get em out but they can be buggers to catch

[​IMG]