Unresolved Hitch hiker ID????

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mandemomof4, Dec 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandemomof4

mandemomof4 Plankton

Hi guys and gals, new to this site and need some help with an id on a hitch hiker... I am usually able to identify most of my hitch hikers with a click from google, but I am totally stumped on this one :confused: ...might be some type of worm??? It looks like it has built its "tube" out of particles of sand and have two clearish tenticles (that are able to latch on to things) that protrude from the opening...it kind of looks like a feather dusters tube. There are literally hundreds in my tank that have all of a sudden popped out of the sand/rock. I was able to take a few pics...If anyone has the slightest idea what this is any suggestions would be appreciated!

90 gallon tank set up for 5 years, but recently moved (booooo) 6 months ago (which was oh so much fun as you all know)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Medusa worm. I think they are pretty cool. It's using it's hair like tentacles to grab detritus for food and building material. Harmless.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very cool worms to have in the tank.

5. mandemomof4

mandemomof4 Plankton

Well thanks for the quick response...will have to do some research on these little fellows!

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yours look pretty cool, mandemon. I have a few of these in my tank. I thought it was just clumped up detritus/sand.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That's actually a Chaetoplerid.

Compare yours to mine in this link. It's under the sessile section. Polychaete - chaetoplerid. Hitchhiker Guide

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mandemomof4

mandemomof4 Plankton

Holy Crap Batman! ;D This is exactly what it is! Good job incognito!