Hitch Hicker on new LR

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Jason McKenzie, May 3, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Went to grab some LR for my 10G today (don't have lights yet) but the LFS only had curred stuff in their show tanks so the sold me 10lbs. Look what I found.
    The problem is 0 acclimation because the LR wasn't in water. Do you think it'll make it? It was out of H2O for about an hour

J

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The brittle star doesn't look too worse for waer. Must have been enough moisture in the rock to keep it alive.

Should be OK.

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

4. Jason McKenzie

It's feek'n huge. I think if it surrvives I may move it to my 72G. but I'll let it be for a month or so.

J

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

just how big is that brittle star? my minis are about 3" across and they are very hardy. is it bigger than that? also it looks like you may have a small aptasia above the brittle star but i cant really tell

6. Jason McKenzie

I would say it's 6" from tip to tip. It came all the way out last night and it's pritty big. The Aptasia or what ever that is is no longer there I think it's just a strange shadow.
    Thanks
    Karkas

J

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

keep an eye on it aptasia can completely pull themselves in a rock this is one reason some people have trouble shooting them with kalk because they dissapear into the rock

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

I'm not a big bittle star fan and to have it in a 10G was not far to it so I went for a trade
    The brittle star for an acro frag. I am not into SPS coral. it's been in the tank since Sunday and has always extended it's polyps. I think it's grown already.

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

My brittle got 10" tip to tip and then started eating my sleeping flasher wrasses. Lost two Carpenters, ouch!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Brittle stars, and most inverts get zero acclimation, till a hobbyist or very concerned lfs does it. Wholesalers don't acclimate pretty much any invert, unless its deemed needed (I can't think of any invert other then starfish, that we acclimate, including clams and corals).

Nice Monti, I love montis.

Stay clear of any green, yellow, orange serpeant stars, they'll eat any little fish they can capture. They create a basket at night, waiting for fish to move in to sleep, then they simply twist, capturing the fish. I hate em.

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ive actually been seeing quite a few pics of green brittle stars catching fish. this was a while ago but someone had a video clip of there star tenting on its legs when the fish swam under it dropped on the fish. nasty buggers

i havent heard much about the other colors but the green is supposed to be the most aggresive brittle