Hippo with something protruding from it

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by lotzofish, May 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

My 4 year old hippo has two strange white things protruding from it, as you can see for the pic. They have been there for several days, and this tells me that it is not crypt. They protrude from the fish about 1-2mm, and appear to be a bit wormlike. Other than that, the fish is diplaying no other symptoms. I'm guessing some sort of external parasitic worm, but I'm not sure. Furthermore, I'm not sure how to treat it.? None of my other fish are showing any signs of these.. Any ideas? I circled the spots in question.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

do you have any stinging corals or nems in your tank?
    they look a bit like stings to me

its fins and tail are a bit raggy also - hence Im wondering if it has had a close encounter of the unpleasant kind

I may be well off with this one.

Steve

4. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I do have many various corals that are lingering around in the tank, but the ragged fins are from a french angel. The angel ripped the tang apart when he was very small, and the fin damage is apparently permament. But I think that you may have a good idea with the sting theory.. Are there any other signs that I should look for to verify this?

5. steve wright

If the fish has been stung - which Im not 100% sure is the case , now you have indicated where the other damage came from

signs to look out for would be awkward movement especially with the pectoral fin as the area may go numb from the sting

Steve

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Some might disagree with such treatment for a tang, and I've not ever removed one from the tank to do this--but I know freshwater dips kill all saltwater parasites. Perhaps you could use RO/DI water, collect the fish at night in darkness, use a net to remove from the tank, but use your hand to dip, and return to the tank.

My first foray into SW aquaria was in 1983 after reading Marine Aquaria, Beginner To Breeder, by Moe. He suggested it in this book; and I've FW dipped every fish I've ever bought before introducing to the tank. I've not lost one yet to stress--even tangs. Again, I'll stress though that I've always done it from the bag and before introduction to the tank. I recall he mentions too that this may not work for parasites that are embedded in the skin of the fish. If the white dots are parasites, and you're sure they've only been present for a number of days and not weeks, you might benefit from this.

Be aware, your mileage may vary.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck.

7. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Hmmm.. The fish seems to be acting completely normal. I'm usually really good at figuring out what is ailing my fish, but this has me stumped.. Thank you for your qick replies!! Do you have any other ideas about coral sting symptoms?

8. Click Here!

9. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I was afraid that it may come to that.. I've always been very weary about putting my fish into freshwater (especially this one).. I also worry that the added stress will cause a crypt outbreak. Do you believe that this is possible?

10. steve wright

Hi Lotzofish

it may not be a sting (I had a hippo once that was enveloped by a very large elephant ear coral - he got out, but he was a mess, lots or specs on his body and his fins where a mess - hence my original reply)

If its a parasitic and if the 2 white specs become 3 or more white specs - then consider Reef Sparkys contribution above

also consider using garlic enhanced food stuffs, keep its appetite stimulated and thus its immunity system fighting fit

Steve

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Yes, absolutely possible. I'd probably take some time to decide, and keep an eye on the fish's behavior.

The last thing you want to do is stress it out more, or hasten it to sickness if it's not really "sick" to begin with.

Tough call! :-/

12. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Bummer, did it make it?

Good idea. Hopefully, it won't come to that, but I will do it, if it is necessary.

As per my feeding regimment, I give garlic enhanced food several times a week. Perhaps, I should give it some time, and see what happens..?

1 person likes this.