hikari algae wafers not so much algae?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by sostoudt, May 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i always assumed hikari was a very good brand for fish food. but recently i was looking at the ingredient in algae wafers
    and i noticed fish meal is the first ingredient. i feed these to a pleco. i always though a pleco diet should be high in plant matter and low in protein, these wafers are 30% protein. is this inappropiate?

edit: i also feed it veggies but infrequently as they make a mess

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. ninty

ninty Flamingo Tongue

I feed a pleco the same wafer's in my planted tank, i thought plecos were vegiterian. No wonder mine has doubled in size in four months :eek:

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Sostoudt, as a Carp angler in the 90s in the UK , we used boiled baits , combined ingredients rolled with eggs ,flavoured , coloured and boiled for 2 mins to make rock hard balls

the point, white fish meal was often the binder, it sticks and rolls well when eggs where added

if we wanted to fish Hi Protien - we used Milk protien based powders, as the base for our mix
    Hi protien baits in those days where considered to contain 70% protien

so IMRE - white fish meal is in as a binder and 30% protien is not a hi protien ratio

Steve

1 person likes this.