High Nitrates

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Shackman23, Feb 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Canister got funked up... Removed it Added a Sump. Had a shift in parameters, few things died during the switch process. Having an almost 9" fish didnt help the matters.

Another thing if I can just point it out, is your signature current for the fish? Tangs will help funk up a tank that small fast...

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

its pretty crazy, ive got a maxijet 1200 with the mod kit, a koraila 750, and an mp10 i got from a guy in green bay really cheap b/c he needed money :eek: so its pretty intense and i had to move my rocks b/c i took them all out and now its like a washer my fish are loving it but my sand is getting moved quite a bit so im going to let it go like this for a few days and see how my sand ends up and adjust from there

4. Shackman23

Yea i actually brought the mata tang into my LFS today and just gave it back b/c he was starting to show aggression towards my others so i do have to edit that thanks for reminding me! lol and the 6-line mysteriously disappeared, ive checked everywhere and everything i could think of looking and i cant find him so i have no idea :-/

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Sucks to hear that :( Glad you took the Acanthurus Mata back... a 20"max fish might need a bigger tank LOL.

Do you have a lid on your tank? 6' lines love to jump. like most any other wrasses.

As for the rest I do agree. a GFO and Carbon Reactor, and Phosban, along with slowly switching out the bioballs will help greatly.

6. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

well im sure someone will post something detailed about what im about to say..

but if we had money on the table with whats wrong with your tank, i would say its those bio balls...everywhere i read online, people with bio balls always have nitrate problems, so it doesnt take a rocket scientist for that..

also if bio balls were so great then we would all be using them just like everyone is setting up fuges..

im not saying bio balls dont work, but they are a huge amount of trouble keeping them clean,,and im lazy i dont want to have to always be cleaning my tank,,i want to enjoy it..

7. Shackman23

Nope no lid, i looked on my floor and everything under my desk 4 ft away and couldnt find a sign ive only had one jumper in my tank so far and that was my clown but i was feeding and i kind of spiked him back into my tank b/c it scared the **** out of me lol and the bioballs will be coming out, i want a healthy tank, and as far as the mata tang goes, there are 2 different kinds of Mata's and this one's max size it around 8 inches im not sure the latin name but he was a cool fish but i had to let him go eventually, if i could start all over with fish choices i would in a heart beat

8. Click Here!

9. Shackman23

good point, there coming out, if i could do it all tonight i would but i dont want to shock the **** out of everything in my tank, although tonight would be good b/c i just did a 25 gallon water change?? and cleaned all my rock?? would i be safe 2? b/c im sure everythign off balanced right now so it wouldnt really mess anything up?

10. saints fan 420

if it was my tank i would yank them out..

and i would just check the params to make sure...you just did a 100% water change so yeah i dont think you can hurt anything..

i mean isnt the bacteria on the bio balls on your live rock too, i dont see how it would hurt anything anymore than what you have..i would think it would help clean up that water some..

to me it sounds like your on your last leg, so what the heck ya know..but idk i would just keep an eye on params, and maybe keep a few of them in a bucket with tank water in case you need to replace some but i doubt you will need too..

i had a friend that ran a ton of bio balls and he had terrible water, and got so pissed just took everything out and his tank didnt fluctuate at all..

11. Shackman23

good point, there on there way out after im done writing this lol and i only did a 50% water change my total tank volume with rock displacement and sand is 62 gallons total and i did a little over 25 gallons

12. saints fan 420

yeah well good luck man..

ill bet in a few days you will see a great difference in water quality with those out..at least my friend did, he has a beautiful tank now..he turned his sump thing into a fuge, he has once of those aqueon sump combo things with the skimmers attached to it..idk what its called but it can be changed from a few different things..