High Nitrates

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Shackman23, Feb 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

10-20ppm is not that high, my tank runs at about 25-30ppm..My tank is fine though, i only have LPS and softies though.

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sorry i was gone for awhile, so i did figure out a few things, one, the salt is good, 2 the RODI water i use is good, and when its mixed, its good, 0 nitrates across the board. as the day progressed i checked it a few hrs after this post and it had went up drastically, it was up to 160ppm, so what i did was drained the tank, (not completely) took out my rock, and put it in a seperate container with the tank water and a 5 gallon pail and washed all my rocks, and did a 25 gallon water change, im hoping the problem was the rocks because after washing them i did 3 rocks and it was some nasty stuff, and it stunk really bad, so im praying that was it?

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah that could be it..usually if it stinks its got nitrates

5. Shackman23

Thats what im going to do, i removed 1/4 today and im going to build a refugium with some cheato and calurpa should be done next week every other day im going to slowly take them out and see what i can do. Thanks for the help!

6. Shackman23

i smelt the rocks and they didnt smell, but the water i swooshed them in was terrible, the problem i think was i bought all the live rock out of a guys tank that was running for 2 yrs and was fully established, and well i put it into a new tank, so im thinking i had a LOT of die off and it is now just starting to show the ill effects

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

My tank got up to 160ppm in the past. I used IO Natural Nitrate Remover. Brought it down substantially so I could fix the issues.

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

yeah..if it were my tank, i wouldnt have those bio balls and i would turn that sump thing you got into a fuge...

didnt we all talk about those bio balls not long ago..the more i read bio balls are more suitable for freshwater tanks...

10. Shackman23

That we did and ive been slowly removing them and cleaning them as i go my LFS just got my sand in today so all i need is to go back and get some Calurpa and chaeto so ill be good to go then

11. Shackman23

Ive got some Nitrate lock stuff in a phosban reactor and it helped at first and now it just got out of control, what was your problem with the nitrates?? did you ever figure it out?

12. saints fan 420

cool man well i really hope everything works to your advantage soon..

whats your flow like in the tank..increasing that flow will help keep the rocks cleaner and more junk in the water column to get sucked out by the skimmer and feed some corals