Urgent High Nitrates, Corals Deteriorating, RBTA Keeps Splitting!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by logic-pending, Feb 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, you are probably over feeding which is causing your high nitrates and cyno. But 40ppm IMO isn't too much of an issue, at least for the polyps. You may want to increase your water change schedule, to perhaps weekly, and cut back to feeding every other day, or at least smaller amounts. You also have pretty high phosphates, so I would consider running some GFO either in a reactor or your filter. Good luck.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I had nitrates at about 40 ppm and bought some yellow polyps and they died off until I had one. I brought my nitrates to zero and the yellow polyps and zoas took off, my favites took off and all corals looked and grew better. Definitely follow all suggestions given and clean any mechanical equipment thoroughly to get any detritus in it.

4. logic-pending

logic-pending Astrea Snail

I did get a protein skimmer actually, but it produced current in my tank so I removed it.

The cyano's gone now, but I have a LOT of diatoms covering the sand and rock currently. Doing a 16-litre (4.2 gallons) water change later, will try the siphoning thing :)

I don't have a RO filter at home, so I buy my distilled water from the supermarket. It would cost a lot more if I had to do a 20% water change every week. Would it be okay if I did 10% every week/ 20% every 2 weeks?

What's GFO by the way?

I cleaned all my equipment last week actually, so we'll see if things improve!

Thanks everyone, you've been great help so far ;D

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Wait, the skimmer made current so you removed it? you want current (unless you referred to stray voltage) – actually this is one of the things that prohibits cyano. Water movement is a highly debated topic some people want to turn their tanks volume 10x an hour other want more. its what ever works for you. But really, don’t be afraid of making current, generally speaking its for the best. And you really need that skimmer to get those doc’s out.

6. logic-pending

Sorry I meant stray voltage! ;D

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

ah ha, I see said the blind man....stray voltage - yuck ! Sorry to hear about that, is the skimmer under warrantee? If not replacing the pump should not be too costly. I assume since you are aware of stray voltage you are running a ground plug? Since I mention it I will remind anyone reading this thread – check your ground plug and scrap clean with a razor blade when needed….once corroded with coralline its no longer working !

8. Click Here!

9. logic-pending

I'm not using a ground plug, is it necessary? :eek:

Anyway in the past week, I've done a 25% water change, siphoned out the detritus on the rocks, cut down feeding to once a day, lessened the amount of food per feeding, replaced my carbon insert, and replaced my phosphate remover. ;D

I just tested my nitrates - still 40. :-[

My zoanthids are doing slightly better though, but my clove polyps are totally gone. -_- I suspect something might be/have been feeding on them.

I'll away from home for almost a week starting tomorrow, hopefully everything will be alright when I get home next week.