High Calcium over 600

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kaz, Dec 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kaz

kaz Plankton

Can anyone help me. I have 3 corals that don't look to good. My calcium is over 600. How do I lower it and what is a good food to feed the corals........

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. tsmatthews3

tsmatthews3 Plankton

Kaz,

I'm fairly new, don't have my tank setup yet but I have been doing my research and Birdlady posted a good link to an article that may be helpful or at least get you started with a solution.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Hope this helps...be sure to browse the forum, this is a great place for all sorts of info :)

Tim

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
    This article shows you the relationship between calcium and alkalinity. It even has ways to correct the problem. PLEASE make sure that your test kit is accurate and correct. Take it to your LFS and let them check it. There is no sense in correcting a problem if it doesn't exist. IF changes are required remember to take it SLOW and don't overdo it. There should be other people who can reply to your post better than I who will do so later.
    J

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That will teach me to keep a reply to window open for 40 minutes and then post later... Great minds think alike :D

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=kaz link=board=ASAP;num=1104415324;start=0#0 date=12/30/04 at 06:02:03]Can anyone help me.  I have 3 corals that don't look to good.  My calcium is over 600. How do I lower it and what is a good food to feed the corals........

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
    I don't believe that high calcium levels would be what's affecting your corals. What are your other water parameters?

If you let us know what kind of corals you are keeping, we could tell you what to feed them :)

7. tsmatthews3

tsmatthews3 Plankton

J,

True there is a wealth of knowledge here with many knowing more than me.. Always better to get a second opinion than to do something that may have a greater effect.

Kaz,

Good luck to you

Tim

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

kaz,

Welcome to 3reef!

In addition to providing the information ancarrig requested, please edit you profile and put your tank/set-up information in your signature. That is most helpful information as it allows us to provide better answers and ask more clarifying questions. Thanks in advance!

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=kaz link=board=ASAP;num=1104415324;start=0#0 date=12/30/04 at 06:02:03]Can anyone help me.  I have 3 corals that don't look to good.  My calcium is over 600. How do I lower it and what is a good food to feed the corals........

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

He's right, high calcium wouldnt usually hurt corals, just inhibit growth. I would do the test AT LEAST one more time to ensure your getting the correct results. I perform them a few times every week for the last couple of years for customers and still make mistakes.

11. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Sea splender, you must be using Oceanic Salt?  Am I correct? Many Oceanic users tend to have high Ca levels. The higher you like to keep your salinity the higher the Ca will be with Oceanic-that is if that is what you are using.

Paramerters would be helpful. What kind of corals do you have and what have you been feeding them. What is your water temp?
    Cindy

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=beamer link=board=ASAP;num=1104415324;start=0#8 date=12/31/04 at 12:44:45]Sea splender, you must be using Oceanic Salt?  Am I correct? Many Oceanic users tend to have high Ca levels. The higher you like to keep your salinity the higher the Ca will be with Oceanic-that is if that is what you are using.

Paramerters would be helpful. What kind of corals do you have and what have you been feeding them. What is your water temp?
    Cindy[/quote]

was that for me..? i was agreeing with a previous reply.....Oceanic is a bit higher in calcium, but latley thier batches have been consistant and not high enough to affect tests more than 30-40. I dont like using fake salt water, only natural sea water for me. I guess its easier for me as I sell about 500 gallons a week.