High Ammonia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TheSaltwaterBoy, Jan 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kllrfsh

Kllrfsh Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If it isn't your test kit...

Then:
    I'd have to think this may be the contributing factor, but cannot be sure. Seems as though you may have had some good little bacterial buddies living in that sand. In fact, you may have started your tank to begin cycling with the addition of the new sand and a possible bacterial die off.

Also, those telling you not to use the Ammonia Lock, they're pretty much on. Instead, I'd focus on water changes 5-10% as often as possible to keep the ammonia level down to allow your bacteria to recolonize.

The additional fish may have sent your ammonia into overdrive as well, but I really think the sand is what did it.

Just my two cents.

I hope you can clear this up, those are some pretty fish.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

Ok thanks i do 5 gallon water changes everyday. I just got some chaeto algae and put it into my HOB filter to help out. Thanks for everyone who helped me and karma for all!!

4. TheSaltwaterBoy

Here are some current pictures:
    Luckily none of my fish have died yet :eek:. Oh yeah and i also have a coral banded shrimp. Wouldn't he be the first one to die?:confused:

Attached Files:

5. TheSaltwaterBoy

My levels are this and some pics:
    Nitrates:2
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: its says 4.0 but i am using same ammonia test kit.:angry:
    is it even possible to have an ammonia of 4 with nitrites of 0 and nitrates of 2??:confused::confused:

Attached Files:

6. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Yes, the ammonia will be converted to niritres then nitrates. If I were you, I would add prime to make your ammonia non toxic.

7. TheSaltwaterBoy

The nitrite has been 0 for like a week and a half yet the ammonia has stayed at a constant 4.0. I thought there would atleast be some nitrite showing up on the test.