High Ammonia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TheSaltwaterBoy, Jan 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

first that is a way overstocked tank. also i think that the sand bad change cause this. did you change it in one day. or over a few weeks like you should

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

I siphoned the sand i had in the tank out over a week. And added the new sand in about an hour.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

??? weird; fish look fine to me

5. TheSaltwaterBoy

I used a turkey baster to get water sample for test and i think it had some dead algae in it.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

you want that ammonia to go down in a day. go to the local fish store and get some live bacteria. smart start will knock that right out.Saltwater SmartStart

i use this product when i disturb rocks or my sand bed. and when i add new fish. i have 14 fish in my tank and 0 ammonia .
    and keep it on hand for emergency's. such as your having. that reading is high. are you sure you didnt mistype that is it maybe 0.50 the third color on the chart?

take water with you for them to test at the fish store. that reading sounds really high. its always good to get them to test when your in doubt. this way you know your readings are correct.
    once when i had a new hydrometer, that was reading wrong and i messed my salt up in my tank. lost some inverts from it. after that i became a firm believer in testing more than once before acting. oh and also bought a refractometer. lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. TheSaltwaterBoy

ok I will take some water to lfs if i do have ammonia i will get that stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I hope everything works out for you. Also, ammonia lock is not a good idea in my opinion. It doesn't take out the ammonia, it justs blocks it from hurting anything. The bad thing is that when your ph goes high (which it does in a saltwater aquarium) then it eats up the ammonia lock and make it useless. Ammonia lock should only be used in freshwater aquariums. If your test kits expiration date was 2007, I would be seriously asking for a refund. Just my 2 cents

1 person likes this.
  10. TheSaltwaterBoy

Ok thanks. If i get chaeto algae will that help with ammonia?

11. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

DING DING DING! Take some water to your LFS and have them test it, then buy a new test for ammonia. And LOOK at the expiration, BEFORE you buy it.

Edit: no chaeto will not help with ammonia.

12. TheSaltwaterBoy

Haha ok thanks. Im getting chaeto anyways to help keep nitrates low.