High altitude aquarium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sdblanshan, Jan 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

I live at 5000 feet above sea level, and it just donned on me.

Has anyone heard of any challenges for aquariums a mile above the ocean?
    It makes sense the air is less dense and therefore oxygen levels are lower.
    I have read skimmers are 20 percent less efficient at this altitude, and now I'm worried about the lower pressure and altitude effecting the specific gravity.

Distilled water boils at a lower temperature here than at sea level which means the water is less dense and since SG is a measure of density it only makes sense that I need to take this into account.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

wow can't help you but the idea of a tropical reef on top of a mountain is kinda cool. from shores to skies

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've seen this discussion before, and I believe the consensus was that it doesn't matter. You have different pressures at different depths in the ocean and our pets can come from a variety of depths, so it tends to make sense. IIRC, others at higher altitudes claimed they don't adjust anything to counter the altitude and they have no problems with their tanks.

The difference in atmospheric pressure is actually fairly small when compared to the difference between 20+ ft depth in the ocean and 24in or less in a glass box.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've never heard of a need to compensate for altitude with salinity, but it does change the O2 saturation point in water.

Here's a calculator that shows the cumulative affects of altitude, temperature and salinity on oxygen saturation. Altitude is shows the most impact, but you can squeeze just a little bit more O2 into your system by lowering salinity and temperature a bit.

Maximum O2 Level Calculator

I keep quite a few tanks above 5,000 feet though and have seen some pretty amazing tanks beyond 8,000 feet without any adjustments for altitude, so I wouldn't worry too much.

6. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

the altitude on my watch is currently reading -320. apparently, I'm underwater.

7. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

THANKS for the fast blast responses, I am more concerned with the effects on my instruments readings such as a hydrometer. I figured if sg is just right then salinity would be high, also higher at depths. and my hydrometer was DANGEROUSLY understating the SG/SALINITY when I used it with calibration solution after significant livestock losses. (REFRACTOMETER ONLY NOW)

And the low ph problem I have may be due to higher co2 Despite over compensation with powerheads and air pumps?

8. Click Here!

9. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I hadn't thought about elevation giving any issues, so far I haven't really ran into any problems. I'm just under 7,000 here in Wyoming.

10. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

Lets figure this out together ehh!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

12. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

What do you mean by Fb?