High alkalinity and calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef36, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef36

reef36 Plankton

I am new to the reef setup and just getting into it. I did a recent test on my water parameters and came out with this.

pH = 8.2
    Nitrate = 10
    Nitrite = 0
    Ammonia = 0
    Calcium = about 600
    Alkalinity = 16

What would cause my calcium and alkalinity to be extremly high and how do I fix it. Any help would be appreciated. From everything that I have been reading if one is high the other is low. So why would both of mine be high. Like I said before I just got into the reef setup and only have 3 mushrooms and a couple of zoanthids. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Could be a mistake in the test kit or using it. Do you dose alk or Ca? What is your Mg?

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

What are you using to test? That seems wrong to me.

What is your SG and what is your Mg?

5. reef36

reef36 Plankton

I didn't test the mg, but the Sg is 1.025. The test that I am using is the reef master test kit by api.

6. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Agreed. Try a different test kit.

7. reef36

reef36 Plankton

I retested the water and it is Ca 500 and alk 11. Is this good perameters for corals or should I bring the Calcium down a little bit? Also what are some good beginner corals? Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Live Aquaria has a beginner corals section here: Beginner Corals: Corals Suitable for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

Your calcium is still a touch high but appears much better (400-450), your Alk is where is should be 7-12 DKH is a good target.

Regular water changes with a quality salt Mix (I prefer Red Sea, but there is plenty to choose from) will adjust your parameters for you. This will also begin to lower your nitrates to zero, where you want them to be

You can always bring water to your LFS and have them test the full spectrum – they are all willing to do this for you for free. Please keep us posted.

Edit: Here is an excellant link for your parameter's please read this site as it will help you a great deal: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Also, I posted helpful links on 3Reef here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/handy-research-links-89299.html#post902791 -- book mark some of these as well.

BTW, how old is your set up?

And welcome to 3Reef !!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  10. reef36

reef36 Plankton

Crimson Ghost, Thanks for all the information. The links that I gave me helped out alot. I'll do a water change this weekend and see if that gets my calcium down a little bit. I appreciate all the help. My system is about 5 years old, but has only been a fish with live rock set up until about a week ago when I changed it to a reef setup.