Hi All!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by blumoon reefers, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

My husband and I have crossed over to the dark side. After many, many years of having freshwater tanks, and saying we would love to try saltwater, we decided to plunge in feet first.

Our tank is 2 months old and cycled. We have a 75 gal with 100lbs of LR, 40lbs of LS. We are currently setting up a 20 gal refugium, but in the meantime we have a 15 gal sump with bio balls. Maxijet 900 and 600 and another one leftover from the FW, we think its about the same as the MJ 600. Skimmer and 4 bulb T5's. (I think I got most of those "technical terms" right.....still a newbie).

Our newest babies are a yellow tang, clownfish and a diamond goby (Love Him!!). We also have a Purple mushroom, cabbage leather and a galaxea. Have about 15 hermits. We are going to be adding to our CuC this weekend.

We are loving this and our grandson thinks it is cool!!!

We love to read and research and so far we are loving this new hobby. We love the softies and the LPS.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. stemanc

stemanc Feather Duster

hi both of u and welcome to 3reef

steve

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Welcome to 3reef Im sure you will enjoy it here.

1 person likes this.
  5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Hello and welcome to 3reef

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

welcome to 3 reef

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

"My husband and I have crossed over to the dark side", oh contrere', you have crossed over to the colorful side! Now, I must say this; slow down! A 2 month old tank should not have coral, from experience mind you, not to burst your bubble. I am sure most long time aquarists will agree. Your tank may have gone through the Ammonia-Nitrite to Nitrate cycle but is by no means fully cycled. Coral are added to a "seasoned" tank of 1 year or more for optimal success and minimal loss of animals. I hope you pull it off but just thought I would prepare you for some of the rest of the total cycle like algae blooms, cyano etc.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef blumoon

1 person likes this.
  10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm going to agree with uncle jed...i just realized this after reading his post actually...i lost a LOT of corals when my tank was newer..i think i put my first in when the tank was about a month and a half old...but now i have had the same ones for months and they are all doing well..my tank is still under a year old..but i can tell that it is much more stable and healthy than it was when it was younger and much more suited for corals

Welcome to 3reef!

Ivan

1 person likes this.
  11. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Thanks for the heads up. Always appreciate advice. Yes, we are realistic but just to help ease your mind a little, we started with everything live, rock and sand. From all my extensive research (over a year before the tank was ever purchased) even though there was a greater expense involved, having LR and LS helps to shorten the cycling time. Yes, we have already seen the algae blooms...all 3 colors of them...brown, green and red.

Also, I know that most people have horror stories about LFS, but we have actually found a great one that we trust very much. He has already said "no" several times....LOL! Gotta love that for long term business.

Here's to hoping that our experience will turn out different than yours.

1 person likes this.
  12. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Welcome to 3reef :)

1 person likes this.