Hey Hobbit people???????

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Corailline, Jan 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

What they actually did was take the book the hobbit, and then work in a bunch of appendices that Tolkien put at the end of the return of the king that had extra story lines. It's how they managed to stretch one book into three movies lol. Also worth noting legolas* was never in the book!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I asked my wife the same thing. I got ::) as my answer.

Now that I have seen these movies, I now appreciate the "Clerks 2" summation of the LOTR.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That was another face palm.

I had to explain to the significant other that he knows Legolas from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yeah those guys with long grey beards and hair all look the same I guess. Put a staff or magic wand in their hands and it's good. ::)

Off to google Clerks 2 interpretation.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. Corailline

We are not amused. :uzi:

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Chicks dig the Lord of the Rings. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

Almost the entire 2nd movie is made up with a few parts sort of following the story line.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Now see this is what I am talking about. This is reason it made no sense to me. Thank you for the conformation. :)

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm such a nerd.

Archenstone is of extreme value and dwarves are notoriously greedy. Putting riches ahead of most else. Greed/money can be corrupting. Dragons are supposed to be wise in middle-earth. So really Smaug was just commenting on the corrupting power of greed. The ring is corrupting too, but that has to do with the active evil spirit embedded in it.
    Don't understand your question about where was gollum.

Azog I don't actually remember from any of the literature. But there is certainly several vendettas between orcs/dwarves. The orcs don't create, they molest (and are themselves a molestation of elves most likely by Melkor (later Morgoth (i.e. Sauron's boss/mentor)). All of their strongholds are conquered (or settled) pre-existing locations. Moria included. That dynamic is similar to the current Israel/Palestine issues today (not commenting on it, just using it as analogy to illustrate).

The ring was 'found' in the dark on the floor. Gollum lost it. While I'd agree who 'owns' it is debatable at that point I wouldn't agree it was stolen. Having said that, Gollum didn't really 'lose' it as so much as the ring 'left' him. The ring houses Sauron's spirit; not merely innatimate. (in today's terms, the ring is a horcrux).

Excellent explanation

BTW, 'Peredhil' is a Middle-Earth reference :pirate2:

1 person likes this.
  11. Corailline

Impressive. :thumb_up:

Well well I never put your profile name together with the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit. I read the books 3 times but back in the 1980's-1990's, but I am no where close to your understanding of all the different characters and story lines. Thank you for straightening out the tangled web, I'll enjoy the next movie more.

When I asked by son about Gollum I could here the disappointment in his voice, I am sure he was doing the face palm.::)

Oh and yes to Sauron, if they had used that name in the movie it would have made more sense. The ring's desire to leave Gollum makes totals sense as well.

All I have to offer in thanks for the explanation is karma.

Thank you. ;)