Hey Hobbit people???????

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Corailline, Jan 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Spoiler Alert:

Regarding Desolation of Smaug:

I am soooooo confused. I have read the books but it was some time ago. Actually I read them a couple times, any who?

1. Why are the Orcs after the dwarfs? Sword.
    2. How come Bilbo tells Gandalf before they enter the forest that he found something, as if Gandalf does not know Bilbo has the ring?
    3. Why do the Dwarfs want the Arkenstone? What does Thorin need it for?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Crickets, :D

I haven't read the stories.

5. Corailline

:laughcry:

In my defense I did search the net prior to posting the thread.

I guess Cyanobacteria solutions are easier to come by.

Fine I'll just take my questions to a movie forum. :p

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

The archenstone is the "symbol" that thorin needs to prove himself as king. Kinda like a crown, apparently having the stone will allow him to unite the dwarf clans. It's been a while since I read them too, but that is what I recall! Also, at this point gandalf does not know bilbo has the ring, he finds that out later, I think the fellowship if the ring. Some artistic license may be being taken too!

1 person likes this.
  7. Corailline

Well thank you. :)

I read the IMD review and the author stated he doubted that Peter Jackson was aware there was a book since he ventured so outside the story line.

That was my thoughts about the Archenstone as well but Smaug made it sound almost like the stone had the same effect on people as the ring, the stone made good people bad.

As for the Ring well then where was Golem then?

Oh well sucked me in for the next movie, as if I would not go see it anyways.::)

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I don't know that the Orc hunting party was ever mentioned in the book, but based on the 1st Hobbit movie, it is the result of a vendetta against the dwarves where the head Orc (Azog) vowed to wipe out the lineage of Dwarf kings after fighting with Thror in the Mines of Moria and beheading him. Thorin is the last living member of the lineage.

10. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

The ring was stolen from gollum in the book when bilbo got separated from the dwarves in the goblin tunnels. That's all that gollum ever got mention of in the hobbit, as far as the original book goes! And that seems about right on the archenstone, but it might just be the vast amounts of gold :)

11. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Once again from the 1st Hobbit movie- the king of the dwarves found the Archenstone while mining deep within the Lonely Mountain. The king used it as a symbol of his power due to its beauty and considered it to be the "Heart of the Mountain". It also mentioned that after finding the Archenstone the Dwarf King began to amass a large treasury- leading Smaug to come and take it because apparently Dragons like gold.

As mentioned, Thorin wants it to prove that he has retaken the lonely mountain and has reclaimed the Dwarves' home.

I don't remember if this was true of the book or not- I read it in 9th grade...

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Too many story lines going on then. The necromancer sends the Orcs after the hobbit for the ring and then the Orcs are after Thorn for a vendetta. Uggg.

Love the movie, great special effects, fantastic cinematography of New Zealand. Hoping that it followed the original story line was hoping for too much I guess.

Nice closing song as well.

My significant other kept asking me why Gondalf was in Harry Potter as well as the Hobbit, so no hope of clarification from him. Although we did have a nice conversation regarding Dumbeldore.... sigh.