Hey Guys, I got a question about temperature!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by EaZy DuZ iT, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EaZy DuZ iT

EaZy DuZ iT Plankton

I have a 30 gallon inside, with two Rena heaters, one 300watt and one 200watt. This might be a over-kill, but I have no live-stock in the tank and its been cycling for about 50 days now. And the reason I did that was because when i placed in the 300 it seemed like it was heating up the water because I didn't feel heat from the heater but left them both in it. I use two LCD digital readings from online and as of right now one shows it at 77.1 degrees the other 78.6, i've been observing them for the past few days and only one time they meet at the same temperature its usually about .5 off, but this time its 1.5 and i think that's too much.

This is the digital thermometer that I use: 2 of them

Aquarium Digital Thermometer Fish Tank Water w/ Probe | eBay

Does this seem like my heaters are causing the problem or should i ditch these type of thermometers for better ones out there? Any input would be great appreciate it.

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

If you trust your tank with a cheap heater be my guest. Id go with a more well known brand for some extra money, rather than new fish and a heater down the road.
    You should only have 150 watts.

50 day cycle. Ouch. Add live rock and BioSpira with damsels until the.tank shows good readings, remove damsels and insert fish. My tank cycled in one week and currently even has diatoms going on the 3rd week.

4. EaZy DuZ iT

EaZy DuZ iT Plankton

I already have 45 pounds of rock. Its a Shrimp mantis only tank, so all my conditions need to be perfect. My water conditions have been perfect since the first week, but my temperature has been the only thing acting up. Mantis Shrimp arnt that easy to find, so my tank has been sitting for a long time :(

What would be a "well known brand" too you? I always thought Rena's smart heaters were pretty good.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Or better yet, do not use damsels. Raw shrimp, fish food will all yield the same results.
    There is no logical reason to use an animal to provide a source of ammonia when you can do so without.
    Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to damsels too. :-[

@ the op, what are your heaters set at?
    Are you using MH lighting? (not needed for a mantis tank)

6. EaZy DuZ iT

EaZy DuZ iT Plankton

Basically I had 3 aquariums, I got rid of two kept a 30 gallon. I kept my weakest light which is a 30 inch coral life T5HO, 2x31W bulbs. My heaters are set at 78 each. They were set at 81 before but i lowered it to 78.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

EAZy this is in the MH lighting section?

Any way, lower the temp to 76.

While I have never kept a Mantis in one of my personal tanks I imaging that a 1 degree swing could not be that stressful (might be wrong). So just try lowering the heater temp to 76 and see what the difference is towards the end of the lighting period.

As far a thermometer, I think you are over thinking that a little. I understand that you are trying to set up the best system for your mantis and I applaud that. Me I would just get a middle of the line digital thermometer and call it a day.

What is the average ambient temp in your house?

8. Click Here!

9. EaZy DuZ iT

EaZy DuZ iT Plankton

WOW I could have sworn I posted in the hardware section , I apologize. Mods if you can move it please do! Temperature around my house is around 68.
    Alright, Ima lower the tempt. Only reason why Im so paranoid is from what I read, that mantis are very stressed when it comes to temperature and salinity levels. Thank you for your advice!

10. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I agree with Corailline, I would also average the 2 and FWIW in my case they were 1-2 degrees lower than actual water temp. As for heaters I like ViaAqua Titanium.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/inaccurate-temp-gauges-106571.html

11. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Mantis are actually very hardy critters except during a molt.think about their habitats in the wild many include tide pools where e ery parameter fluctuates alot.as water evaporates from the tide pool salinity rises as does temp.ammonia,nitrates and nitrites may go off the charts if there's a fish that died in pool aswell.

Not that I condone it but people keep them in just a bucket with an airstone.

As for heaters I like the finnex heaters and they also make a failsafe for over heating upto 300w

1 person likes this.