Hermitt Crabs Vs. Turbo snails

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Fish Shotta, Dec 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have found Scarlet Hermits to be pretty Snail safe

2. Click Here!

3. Summersfall

Summersfall Plankton

Yeah my blue leg hermit crabs go after my snails and managed to kill and eat one this morning XD Anyway, I think snails are much better since they can get all around the tank, including the glass which cuts back the algae. I also have this crab that hitch hiked on some live rock that doesn't bother my snails at all and seems shy but keeps the tank pretty clean. I will have to get a picture up for you all to see its not a hermit crab because it doesn't have a shell.... its sorta cute!!!

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I just added a bunch of hermits to help with my algae,but i have to admit,i'm having mixed feelings about them now as i have a RC snail crew also.So far,they don't seem to bother with the snails,they are really chowing down on some algae and are amusing to watch but they go where ever they want,crawling over my corals and irritating all of them,they are picking at the algae around and in between them but i'm beggining to wonder about the stress on the corals.My leathers,zoas and gsp are not happy with them in the tank.

5. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

I will never again put any free-roaming crustacean in a reef tank. IMOPE, they all have the potential to become opportunistic predators, and far too many that are sold as "reef safe" don't even come from the reef, including many of the hermits.

Another mistake that the LFS makes is the quantity of critters in their "cleaner packs". One needs to add just a few at a time until the consumption of algae matches the production in their system. Otherwise, you'll end up with a bunch of dead snails that will again fuel algae blooms. No two systems are identical, so a recommended number per gallon is simply ludicrous.

Just my two cents.

1 person likes this.
  6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

My blue legs killed all my mexican turbos. They are even to the point where they kill each other. About every two weeks or month I see a dead hermit a04 I only have a dozen in my 90.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I lost about 40 large mexican turbo snails about a year ago to hermits.... Hermits are good for murdering snails... Seen it with my own eyes.