Hermitt Crabs Vs. Turbo snails

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Fish Shotta, Dec 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish Shotta

Fish Shotta Astrea Snail

So i have a 75 gallon reef and i have between 60 and 70 hermitt crabs in there(blue legs, zebra, mexican red legs, and scarlett reefs). I added them about 3 months ago and they killed all of my turbo snails which were all around 2 to 3 inches. I must have had around 20 of them in there. I was told by the guy at the fish store that they would only kill the smaller species of snails. So I am a little confused. Have i been misinformed? Should i try adding smaller snails if i can find them? Or should i just not add any more turbos because the crabs will kill them?

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i believe that hermits will kill any snail they see for food and for a shell when they get too big

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, IME a hermit will kill any sized snail it can. I would either do all hermits or all snails. I tried a mix for a while and ended up pulling out every single hermit crab cause the just started killing snails to kill snails.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I look at it the other way around. Get rid of the hermits and get more snails. Snails much more important in controlling some algaes. I have one hermit.

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

yeah what corailline said. If you wanna keep hermits and snails keep 1 hermit; trust me, snails really helped a lot in cleaning my algae on the tank walls. the only down side is that they sometimes slither out of your tank...? they're pretty stupid to realize there dying lol. And if you're going with 1 hermit and lots of snails, why not try a halloween hermit crab? kind of unique IMO:
    Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

maybe if the snail that is bigger is like a conch otherwise they are all food. Ive found snails are probably the better creature since they can climb glass.

8. Click Here!

9. Fish Shotta

Fish Shotta Astrea Snail

Yeah lmao, I seems like the hermitt crabs are killin the snails for sport or something cause the shells of the snails they are killin are like ten times the size of the the hermitt crab shells. so there is no way they are killin the snails for theirs shells.

10. Fish Shotta

Fish Shotta Astrea Snail

I know what you mean now in startin to wish i got 80 snails instead of 80 hermitt crabs lol

11. Fish Shotta

Fish Shotta Astrea Snail

ya i seen the haloween hermits they look pretty wicked. Quick question do u think that they would go after the snails

12. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

mine kill to kill they dont even eat the snail after lol. im waiting on a response from reef cleaners on an all snail cuc then i can get rid of the killers lol