Hermit - Reef Safe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by 1sttimereefer, Nov 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1sttimereefer

1sttimereefer Astrea Snail

Hi All, I am suspecting that the hermits I have may not be reef safe. While I have only witnessed one chomp on a coral I have walked up to the tank to see shriveled up coral with a hermit nearby looking very guilty! :)

I've attached a picture of one.

Thanks!
    upload_2015-11-7_15-12-43.jpeg

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

I always make a rule for my tank. If I got a bad feeling about, into the sump it goes.

edit: also some good reef safe hermits are zebra hermits! my favorite so far and they're pretty good on both hair and bubble algea. Also gotta love the one big claw

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've never had a problem. I have a couple big ones that look just like that. I feed my tank 2x per day though. So as long as they get food scraps I guess they're happy. I think they may have killed small snails in the past but hard to tell.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

That is a thin stripe hermit crab. NOT reef safe. They get huge.

All crabs are opportunistic though. The only crabs I have in my tank (that I'm aware of) are the smooth acro crabs.

6. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

no crabs of any sort...i find that most crabs will mess with snails and i prefer snails to crabs.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Now Im wondering if I should take mine out lol My snails disappear over time but I just thought they die off.

8. Click Here!

9. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Do you have extra shells to distract the hermits? A lfs here has bulk cerith shells he gets for this reason. I buy like 25 of them and take out the smaller ones and replace them with slightly larger ones every so often. my guys leave my snails alone. only reseason I end up with dead snails and hermits is cause of my tiger pistol shrimp likes to drag them to his lil cave and kill them

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

They're good in sumps or large FOWLR tanks with predators that would normally eat smaller hermits.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I do.. I got a bag off eBay years ago.. plenty laying around in there. I'll be ordering from reef cleaners soon so I think jus snails this time. Maybe another fuzzy cheaton.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I love chitons!!

Personally I'll always do only snail set ups.